Which bank/bank accounts should we apply for before we go to Oz?

smw

Hiya,

Ive just applied for a basic account from Westpac, so we can start transfering money over and build a credit history and just had info from my migration agent, advising Commomwealth would be a good choice, as offices in the uk and cant sort credit cards, loans etc.....

Im really stuck now, any help much appreciated!!

Steph

I think there is only one branch of Commonwealth in th UK (in London). Might be wrong, but having a quick look at their website that is all I could find. There is also a Westpac branch in London. We used Westpac, no problems with them for personal or business accounts. I am not sure you would be able to apply for loans/credit cards from outside Australia. We opened our Westpac account from the uk and transferred money in prior to our arrival. Once we were here we went to prove our identity at the branch and collect our EFTPOS cards, and they offered us credit cards on the spot. We had absolutely no trouble getting a mortgage without any credit history (we don't use the credit cards, they are there just in case we should need them). Our mortgage is with ANZ because at the time we were on a 457 and they were/are one of the only banks who will allow 457 holders to apply.

I think there is only one branch of Commonwealth in th UK (in London). Might be wrong, but having a quick look at their website that is all I could find. There is also a Westpac branch in London. We used Westpac, no problems with them for personal or business accounts. I am not sure you would be able to apply for loans/credit cards from outside Australia. We opened our Westpac account from the uk and transferred money in prior to our arrival. Once we were here we went to prove our identity at the branch and collect our EFTPOS cards, and they offered us credit cards on the spot. We had absolutely no trouble getting a mortgage without any credit history (we don't use the credit cards, they are there just in case we should need them). Our mortgage is with ANZ because at the time we were on a 457 and they were/are one of the only banks who will allow 457 holders to apply.

Hey there,

Thanks for the help. Were really worried about bank accounts renting our house out..arrgghh!!!

I'm going to open an account with NAB; you can apply online and they have everything ready for you at your destination on OZ. I chose them because they offer free banking and have a dedicated service for migrants and a branch in London if you want to arrange your banking face-to-face.

Personally I don't use the banks to transfer funds because their exchange rate isn't all that good compared to companies such as xe.com.

We opened an account online with NAB which was really quick and easy and then transferred money via Moneycorp, who again were brilliant. We then arranged an appointment with NAB before we arrived in Australia, the only thing was we had to go into Perth to verify our identification, but after that we found NAB to be well located in WA.

:biggrin:

NAB really good , had our file and card ready as soon as we arrived in Perth.

Transferred money through moneycorp as we could see exactly what rate we were getting prior to purchasing money unlike putting your trust in a bank that decides there and then at the transaction point , depending on how they feel with what rate they give you!!!

We have gone with NAB for our first (joint) account. Straight-forward to set up on-line. Picked up eftpos cards on allotted day (had to go and meet migrant banker in Melbourne city centre, 20 minute wait will said banker joked about with his colleagues). Ordered Visa debit cards that day, arrived a week later. It's a fee-free account. Ironically I now have a fee-free account in OZ and a fee paying account in the UK!

Credit cards: will take 3 months' payslips before we can order.

Archived