Registering with doctor in UK after returning from OZ

johnaross

Has anyone experienced any difficulty in registering with a GP when returning to UK. We plan to buy a house in Lincolnshire but will be looking for temporary accommodation initially. But as luck, or bad luck would have it, I have just found out I will need to see a doctor pretty quickly when I get to the UK. Therefore the plan is to register immediately in the area we are staying. Does anyone foresee any problems with that plan.

Unless things have changed,I don't see a problem with it!I was out of the UK for over 30 years.The first week I was back,myself and my daughters registered with the nearest surgery,and was very easy.I guess you could always find the nearest surgery befre you leave Oz and ring them for reassurance if you needed it.Good luck with your move back and I hope your health improves!xx

Has anyone experienced any difficulty in registering with a GP when returning to UK. We plan to buy a house in Lincolnshire but will be looking for temporary accommodation initially. But as luck, or bad luck would have it, I have just found out I will need to see a doctor pretty quickly when I get to the UK. Therefore the plan is to register immediately in the area we are staying. Does anyone foresee any problems with that plan.

We had no problem when we went back in 2001 allthough we had to apply via the health commision office (not sure if thats what the name is but its the governing body of the NHS )

Shouldn't be a problem. Tho it's interesting story, that when I emigrated 25yrs ago, I told my GP and he said he would send our records to some central place. My son went back 2yrs ago, walked into the same surgery and they still had the whole family registered with them. So he got ian appt straight away. GP's in UK get paid according to the number of patients registered with them ......so could this mean he's been getting paid all this time...I wonder. We must've been their healthiest family then.

Unless things have changed,I don't see a problem with it!I was out of the UK for over 30 years.The first week I was back,myself and my daughters registered with the nearest surgery,and was very easy.I guess you could always find the nearest surgery befre you leave Oz and ring them for reassurance if you needed it.Good luck with your move back and I hope your health improves!xx

Absolutely concur with Melza in 2007 I just walked into the local clinic with the NHS number in tow and they looked me up and signed me up there and then had been 30 years 8 months since I was at a UK hospital. No brainer just make sure you have your NHS numbers they have a central DB and can easily access your records - good luck.

Archived