Confused new nurse arrival

rachall

Hi All Well I arrived in Sydney last week, and although it's a bit warm at the mo (43.5 degrees) I'm loving it. Have met the employers and they are lovely, all my fears have been for nothing. However, I keep seeing on here that as a nurse I am eligible for PR, but going through the points test I cant make the numbers work! Someone recently posted that if you were already registered with AHPRA then you didn't need to sit the English Language test, however how then do you claim the points? I want to start the ball rolling in the background for PR just in case. But I am confused, I know I can gain a positive skills assessment but I'm just not seeing any way forward before the 2yrs of being employed on the 457. I'm 40 with 4yrs post qualifying experience and with young family, want to have some security if we choose to stay. Any help or suggestions would be gratefully received as lots of nurses on here seem to go for PR.

Hi Rachall, I sat the IELTs test as was required for skills assessment when I done it. I was then able to claim additional points for English language in my visa application. Because I'm from uk I could claim points for having uk passport so didn't really need the IELTs for the visa. Might be worth just doing it if you need extra points. Not sure if any of that helps! Obviously our situations are a bit different.

Because I'm from uk I could claim points for having uk passport

Are you sure that's right? I was under the impression that having a UK passport and being British from birth only proves functional English, i.e IELTS level 6 max. For extra visa points the scoring is four 7s to get 10 pts and four 8s for 20 pts.

hi gbuss, you are right, the uk passport does not provide extra points. When I registered with AHPRA (nursing) I still had to prove my English language. As I'm on a 457 I didn't need to do IELTS, because I could prove that I was taught and assessed in English. Having a UK passport proves nothing and for PR I would need a skills assessment and IELTS if I were not already registered.

Pretty sure I could claim points for having a uk passport but could claim a bit more for having my IELTs. I'll double check though, don't want to be talking rubbish! Bearing in mind I have a 176 and not the new pr visa so points allocation might have changed. AHPRA and visa requirements are completely unrelated.

Archived