just read this on CNN, upsetting :(

Maruska

http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/15/world/asia/australia-ranjini-indefinite-detention/index.html?iref=obnetwork

I just read this, made me very upset indeed. They didn`t say exactly what she is supposed to have done ( of course, because DIAC doesn`t "comment" on security status) . She seems to me like a woman who is trying hard to rebuild her life and now she ended up in detention separated from her husband and having a new baby basically in prison:cry:.

I really hope that situation gets sorted out soon for her so that she and her 3 kids can go home ( NOT to her country of origin which she fled for obvious reasons).

I see three issues. One, if there is a threat, then the government are behaving correctly. Two, having being in north Sri Lanka in 2006 myself, only those who were wanted by the government as being considered terrorists would consider themselves at risk. Three, she travelled to India, where she could have claimed refugee status. But instead went on to australia. Hence she is just an economy migrant and should never have been given refugee status.

Is SHE the threat? Or possibly her first husband and she gets the "threat " label for being married to him in the past? I am sure that the security check is very thorough but I just hate the thought of her kids growing up in jail :confused:.

I agree, it is very hard for her children. But, yes, at the moment she has been branded a threat. There are plenty of other relatives of ex Tamil fighters who have not been regarded as a threat so maybe there is genuine intelligence that she poses a threat. the government have a duty of care to protect the public from forign threats via it's security service. We, as the public, have to put a degree of faith in that service.

I agree , I wouldn`t want to become a victim of violence because someone didn`t do security check.Wish there was a different way about it though, in her case. Is there such a thing as "domestic detention" in Australia? In US the people were a bracelet/anklet and shouldn`t go further away than they`re allowed. That would enable her and her family to spend the first weeks of baby`s life together, while still under surveillance.

Archived