Moving to Katherine NT

Combat69

We don't use the term ABO here in Katherine, the traditional owners prefer to be called Aboriginal or Indigenous Australians. But you make your point, by and large they live their lives their own way, and at times this can be refreshing. Many of them share what little they have, family come first, and they don't waste valuable resources, often only killing what they need to eat. I for one have learnt from them, and in particular how little you really need to live. As in any society, there will of course be the minority who do very little, live off the state and have little respect for anyone. But by and large the majority are decent friendly people, who allow us to live on their land and are happy to be part of something that is called the NT

lol @ people saying that these tiny towns in the NT are more violent than Brixton :biglaugh: or even places like Grangetown in Cardiff. Broken Jaw state? A guy was killed in Cardiff outside one of the main pubs a few weeks back in a street fight. In London areas like brixton or peckham there are stabbings and shootings everyday.

There is a lot of euphemism going on here, combat let me tell you exactly what the posters are referring to when they say "culture shock" etc.

Pissed up and solvent upped Abo's.

I lived in Darwin for 5 months and never felt threatened by a skinny scrawny drunk out of his mind Aborginal or even groups of. Al they do is shout and scream at each other. Much more potential for violence in Shenanigans or Monsoon's, pubs full of European men.

Combat you will be fine mate, at least on a safety level especially given your military past.

It's good to hear the more positive posts on here. I am looking to migrate to WA probably and teach remote. I love the idea and have a sense of adventure. I have read so many reports and have traveled around Oz so am aware what I am getting into. I just wish the NT state govt would update their skills list as it is 2 years old but as kyder says NT = not this year!!! Such a shame as NT has the largest indigenous population and therefore largest remote teaching service. Good luck to you Combat!

• 2 weeks later...

My partner and I are just going through the application process for jobs in Katherine and found these posts helpful.

A question we have is where to live? NSEW of Katherine.

Also, has anyone advice on essentials to bring over and whether its worth shipping some things and recommended companies.

Really appreciate any advice.

Katrina

First time I've heard Katherine described as a tourist spot. Personally couldn't live there.

we drove the savannah way, stopping off at all the major towns & some places in between & I would have to say Katherine was a highlight for me. Absolutely fabulous. Katherine Gorge & National park was fantastic. We spent 4 days there, granted - not the same as living there but I could have easily stayed longer. Also, I might add, I don't recall feeling intimidated - but then I'm from Glasgow, 'the worlds most dangerous city' or whatever that **** Ross Kemp tried to make out. I loved the outback rural aspect, tons of wildlife, I actually preferred it to Darwin which I found to be a backpackers paradise, which in itself comes with its own heap of problems.

you won't know until you go, and I reckon for a truly authentic Aussie experience its well worth investing some time in.

good luck

There are no good and bad areas in Katherine, just good and bad in all areas. If you have transport, try to get out North or South a bit. Katherine East has the most properties, we lived there for a year before buying remote. It was a bit noisy, but no damage and the people are friendly, just a different life style. Its difficult to get rental properties in Katherine, take a look on the Elders Katherine Website, they are a local estate agent also try LJ Hooker. I doubt they will list you until you get here though. Basically you take what you can get at the time, but there are some nice properties, and you will have to keep hastling. By your summer clothe in the UK. They cost a lot here and the quality is crap. Bring your own stuff if you can, but be aware that some furniture will not stand the heat and humidity. The glue melted on our dinning chairs brought from the UK. WE used a company called Britannia removals, but I don't know if they service Glasgow. Finally prepare yourself for a slow pace of life, lohg waits for postage and ordered items, but remember that there is little choice, so you won't spend any money and you will save loads if you are workingken

• 1 month later...
There are no good and bad areas in Katherine, just good and bad in all areas. If you have transport, try to get out North or South a bit. Katherine East has the most properties, we lived there for a year before buying remote. It was a bit noisy, but no damage and the people are friendly, just a different life style. Its difficult to get rental properties in Katherine, take a look on the Elders Katherine Website, they are a local estate agent also try LJ Hooker. I doubt they will list you until you get here though. Basically you take what you can get at the time, but there are some nice properties, and you will have to keep hastling. By your summer clothe in the UK. They cost a lot here and the quality is crap. Bring your own stuff if you can, but be aware that some furniture will not stand the heat and humidity. The glue melted on our dinning chairs brought from the UK. WE used a company called Britannia removals, but I don't know if they service Glasgow. Finally prepare yourself for a slow pace of life, lohg waits for postage and ordered items, but remember that there is little choice, so you won't spend any money and you will save loads if you are workingken

Thanks for all the info Ken.

We are now in Katherine, been here for just over a week. I see what you mean about a slower pace of life and the cost of things! We are finding our way around now and quite enjoying it. My partner Alison started work last week and i'm now looking for work to keep me busy!

We are looking forward to the dry season now so we can get out more!

Cheers for all your help.

Jase

• 4 months later...