Moving to Katherine NT

Combat69

Have you been to Aus? If not its very very different and Katherine is very very very different.

Its hot in summer lovely weather in winter.

Things tend to be more expensive in the outback due to the distance things have to travel.

Its a tourist spot.

Bobj will be the person to tell you how it is.

My parents live up in the Kimberly for about 12 years and I did visit them and I quite liked it.

Yep spent a bit of time there during my NT stay.I worked in the bush for a short time and on occassions went to Katherine to get a big town feel.... As noted it is different to say the least. The Katherine Hotel going back to 97 was a coloutful place indeed. You could barely have picked a more dinky dye sort of place. The gorges are great just out of town. Not long after leaving NT they had some serious flooding in the town.

Interesting place short term.A little fourth worldish.......alcohol being a problem with a substantial minority.

Katherine is very very isolated and has a lot of issues.I lived in outback NT for five years. Not the easiest place to be, but if you like adventure and isolation then you will be fine in Katherine. My only advice is to try and get out of Katherine as much as possible when you are not working, otherwise it would be too depressing. Treat it as an adventure and you will be fine.

Edited by Sammy1

Oh my ,I really hope you have done your research.

Katherine is a very small town with tat small town mentality.

Huge issues with the Indiginous and alcahol.

Rentals are not easy to by at the moment either.RAAF Tindall are refurbishing their married quarters so Defence families moving in are having to rent privately.After reading posts on the Defence site many families are struggling to get a rental.

Katherine is 300kms from Darwin,where you will have to come to do most of your shopping.There is a Woolworths and a few speciality stores,but not a lot in the way of shopping.The weekend farmers maret is a joke ,a handful of stalls not selling much.

Hubby is an NT rugby referee and does quite a few games down there.We normally stay at the Big4 campsite.While the Gorge and Cutta Cutta caves are awesome there really is not that much more to see/do there.

You are within easy reach of Litchfield and Kakadu National Parks.However during the wet season October - May most roads are closed.The Katherine to Darwin stretch of the Stuart Highway quite often is closed due to flooding.

Thanks everyone, some usefull bits of information there! Yes we have researched Katherine and understand the issues with the indiginous population. With having no kids, I am confident that this shouldn't be too much of an issue. We both like adventure and can live in isolation, I will have just finished 24 years in the Army, so I'm used to living in some very isolated area's. We would be arriving on my partners visa as she has secured work there, so I would be looking for some kind of work after we arrive! Does anyone know if that is going to be hard due to the size of the place?

As anyone worked at Katherine Hospital? Trying to find out what the hospital accommodation is like?

Thanks

Yes I think you will struggle to find work.There really is not that much there.I have collected patients from Katherine hospital.Most czses are transferred to the Royal Darwin.

It is a hospital with many issues,mainly down to its remoteness and people not wanting to live in Katherine and of course the Indiginous population.

Kathetine is really not a place you venture out into after dark.

As I said in my previous post we go there when hubby is reffing a game.He is a big burly,ex rugby playing soldier,who will not go out after dark there.

Even shopping in Woolworths is an eye opener.The problems in Katherine are nearly as bad as Alice,where they have so many police and civilian security walking the streets.

Can your wife not secure a job anywhere else ??

Katherine is not somewhere I could live,sheer boredom would kill me !!!!

Thanks everyone, some usefull bits of information there! Yes we have researched Katherine and understand the issues with the indiginous population. With having no kids, I am confident that this shouldn't be too much of an issue. We both like adventure and can live in isolation, I will have just finished 24 years in the Army, so I'm used to living in some very isolated area's. We would be arriving on my partners visa as she has secured work there, so I would be looking for some kind of work after we arrive! Does anyone know if that is going to be hard due to the size of the place?

As anyone worked at Katherine Hospital? Trying to find out what the hospital accommodation is like?

Thanks

We don't have kids and spent a few hours there in middle of day, it was pretty intimidating walking down the main shopping street even then, lots of groups hanging around that you have to walk past ... anyway sounds like you are as well equipped as anyone to give it a go. Good luck.

Saw this earlier and was wondering the situation with the username and whether to add my 2 cents worth.

I am also ex-Army (Infantry Officer 2000 - 2010) and my last posting before coming to Australia was Nanyuki, Kenya; spent most of my career outside the UK and thought I was accustomed to remote and isolated places.

Nothing, I mean nothing unless you've been to Antarctica, prepares you for the tyranny of distance in rural Australia. Yesterday I drove from Walgett, NSW to Adelaide, SA in one hit with three kids and a dog and it has knocked the stuffing out of me.

First question - what is the medium term plan? Is going to Katherine integral to that plan or not?

I live in Walgett, NSW - a very similar town to Katherine (though smaller, no Woolies or other shops here, one IGA, one pharmacy, one newsagents, the world's most expensive furniture / home electrical store and a bottle shop). It isn't as bad as a lot of people make out but you wouldn't want a lack of light at the end of the tunnel.

In terms of the hospital it will most likely be staffed (nursing and auxiliary medical professions) by a succession of short-term Kiwis, Brits, Irish and Indians with Indian or African doctors.There will be quite a good little community as everyone's in the same boat.

As to work for you. What did you do in the job? I found it really difficult to find work when I first came here (I'm now a paramedic) and was told time and again that ex-military are not looked on very favourably out here. I was looking for work throughout the whole of Australia and struggled - by confining yourself to one small town you could be making it very hard for yourself. Australian employers appear to like very linear career progression within limited industry confines and plenty of tickets / licences. The British military attitude of being a generalist and transferable skills doesn't attract many fans here.

I'm really sorry to sound so negative. You could make it work but it's only right you go into this with your eyes open and a goal to work towards beyond just getting to Australia and starting work.

All the very best.

Edited by Rugby Lad

G'day mate, have to agree with Janine; there is a big problem with the Aborigines and alcohol.

Have been going there for better than 40 years; the town grows and so do the problems. Still, I could quite easily live there, barramundi fishing in the NT, gold prospecting etc.:yes:

Some very spectacular places around the area. Nitmiluk is the name for the Katherine Gorge.

Cheers, Bobj.

There are seriuos issues in Katherine....and not just amoung the Aboriginal population issue.....Saying that it is not a town I would say I'd never return to. Perhaps it was the fact that I never stayed longer than three nights ..on the four os so times there...and besides fouind the caravan park more than ok......now further down the road in Alice, a place I worked a few months,if I never saw again would almost be too soon.

Some heavy stuff in that town experienced and witnessed. Almost begs belief some of the things going on.......

I had the worst night of my life in Alice.... I've travelled all over here and Europe as a lone female, but I wouldn't even contemplate going back there on my own again. I say 'night' in the singular, I was meant to stay longer, but I got the hell out of there the first flight I could.

Katherine however, despite its problems, I'd go back tomorrow. It has some lovely things going for it.

I had the worst night of my life in Alice.... I've travelled all over here and Europe as a lone female, but I wouldn't even contemplate going back there on my own again. I say 'night' in the singular, I was meant to stay longer, but I got the hell out of there the first flight I could.

Katherine however, despite its problems, I'd go back tomorrow. It has some lovely things going for it.

Ah yes Alice Springs.....the stuff of nightmares and it gave me quite a few!

Yes I think you will struggle to find work.There really is not that much there.I have collected patients from Katherine hospital.Most czses are transferred to the Royal Darwin.

It is a hospital with many issues,mainly down to its remoteness and people not wanting to live in Katherine and of course the Indiginous population.

Kathetine is really not a place you venture out into after dark.

As I said in my previous post we go there when hubby is reffing a game.He is a big burly,ex rugby playing soldier,who will not go out after dark there.

Even shopping in Woolworths is an eye opener.The problems in Katherine are nearly as bad as Alice,where they have so many police and civilian security walking the streets.

Can your wife not secure a job anywhere else ??

Katherine is not somewhere I could live,sheer boredom would kill me !!!!

Thanks for the info, Katherine are the only ones to offer sponsorship and timings work out great for me leaving the Army. It's great to know what to expect though. We are both still looking forward to it and going with an open mind! We do plan to get out and about as often as we can. There are places here in Cardiff that I wouldn't go at night on my own, so sounds like a home from home but with nice weather....lol

Saw this earlier and was wondering the situation with the username and whether to add my 2 cents worth.

I am also ex-Army (Infantry Officer 2000 - 2010) and my last posting before coming to Australia was Nanyuki, Kenya; spent most of my career outside the UK and thought I was accustomed to remote and isolated places.

Nothing, I mean nothing unless you've been to Antarctica, prepares you for the tyranny of distance in rural Australia. Yesterday I drove from Walgett, NSW to Adelaide, SA in one hit with three kids and a dog and it has knocked the stuffing out of me.

First question - what is the medium term plan? Is going to Katherine integral to that plan or not?

I live in Walgett, NSW - a very similar town to Katherine (though smaller, no Woolies or other shops here, one IGA, one pharmacy, one newsagents, the world's most expensive furniture / home electrical store and a bottle shop). It isn't as bad as a lot of people make out but you wouldn't want a lack of light at the end of the tunnel.

In terms of the hospital it will most likely be staffed (nursing and auxiliary medical professions) by a succession of short-term Kiwis, Brits, Irish and Indians with Indian or African doctors.There will be quite a good little community as everyone's in the same boat.

As to work for you. What did you do in the job? I found it really difficult to find work when I first came here (I'm now a paramedic) and was told time and again that ex-military are not looked on very favourably out here. I was looking for work throughout the whole of Australia and struggled - by confining yourself to one small town you could be making it very hard for yourself. Australian employers appear to like very linear career progression within limited industry confines and plenty of tickets / licences. The British military attitude of being a generalist and transferable skills doesn't attract many fans here.

I'm really sorry to sound so negative. You could make it work but it's only right you go into this with your eyes open and a goal to work towards beyond just getting to Australia and starting work.

All the very best.

Thanks Rugby Lad,

Some great info in your thread, Yes there is a greater plan and Katherine is just the start! It's a means to an end, however you never know, we just might love it there.....lol.

I'm a WO1 in the RLC so got all my licences, Got lots of training and management qualifications, had a few postings with Trg Regt's and OTC's. Just finished all my resettlement as an electrician, getting experiance with that at the moment! Like yourself, I have been away from the UK for a great deal of my time (Including Nanyuki, Kenya 1991).

I guess that it would be worth shipping our furniture over?

Did you train over in Oz to be a paramedic?

Thanks again for your advice.

Jase.

Ex RLC myself hubby was REME now RAEME.

If you mean driving licences the both of us arrived with fully loaded licences.They will only transfer your car licence.Hubby was lucky Defence put him through all his again.

Bring your furniture and white goods.Not muc h choice in furniture in Katherine or Darwin.

Believe you me Cardiff on a Saturday night has nothing on Katherine.

You really do need to be prepared for what you will see.The culture shock is like one big smack in the gob !!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the info, Katherine are the only ones to offer sponsorship and timings work out great for me leaving the Army. It's great to know what to expect though. We are both still looking forward to it and going with an open mind! We do plan to get out and about as often as we can. There are places here in Cardiff that I wouldn't go at night on my own, so sounds like a home from home but with nice weather....lol

Never related Katherine in my wildest dreams to anything as remotely similar to Cardiff or even Brixton for that matter. Think fourth world.....NT is sometimes called the Broken Jaw state......for obvious reasons.......I witnessed more violence or the potential of violence in the NT than any other place I've been.......still like it in an odd sort of way ..but not for living.....

Have you been to Aus? If not its very very different and Katherine is very very very different.

Its hot in summer lovely weather in winter.

Things tend to be more expensive in the outback due to the distance things have to travel.

Its a tourist spot.

Bobj will be the person to tell you how it is.

My parents live up in the Kimberly for about 12 years and I did visit them and I quite liked it.

First time I've heard Katherine described as a tourist spot. Personally couldn't live there.

First time I've heard Katherine described as a tourist spot. Personally couldn't live there.

Really? Katherine attracts its share of tourists mostly thanks to the gourges. Met many nationalities up there. Quite a number also of backpackers. Some working in the town. No doubt made the town more acceptable ..as some of the locals are a little difficult to have a meeting of minds with.....and I mean across the race divide....

Hi all,

My partner and I are moving to Katherine NT on a 457 visa at the end of Mar 13. Do any of you live there? Just after any top tips for living out there and any other advice would be most welcome!

Cheers

You will be fine. Living and working here in Katherine is dependent on your life experience, your age and maturity and your life style. we emigrated to Melbourne in 2008, and 3 years there was a time we did not enjoy. We may almost as well stayed in the UK, busy noisy, packed trains, traffic jams. The only difference being a bit warmer, and sometimes dryer. We did a 6 week 4WD tour of the NT, from Alice Springs to Darwin, and fell in love with Katherine. We loved it so much, we got jobs in Katherine and came up for a trial of six month last January. We bought a house just outside Katherine 6 weeks ago, with 20 acres of land.....our widest dream. We have occasional shopping trips to Darwin, and to visit our daughter in Melbourne, but we always love coming back. Alice feels threatening, just because of the amount paramilitary looking people, armed cars out and about after dark, but it is safe in the tourist spots. Katherine has a much gentler feel to it. We treat the local people with respect and they do the same to us, in fact the tourists from down south can be far more of a threat with their unrealistic demands on a small town. I work with 98 per cent Aboriginal people and we get on really well. It's a case of respecting their culture, and believe me, we have learnt a lot from them. As you say in previous posts, some parts of UK cities are no go areas, but we go to the golf club, the RSL and to friends houses, not the town pub! If you like beautiful scenery, have a sense of adventure, don't mind waiting for things and have a good relationship when the monsoons are here, you will love it. NT stands for....Not Today, Not Tomorrow, Not Tuesday, Not Thursday , Not hHis week, Not This month Not This year.....get the drift.....if you are not working in Katherine,....you don't want a job. Furniture can be hard to get, expensive and very little choice, if you can, have yours shipped, it will for definite be better quality. Get rid of all your heavy clothing and stock up on shorts and T shirts, they cost here too, and you may change 3 times a day. My wife still imports her undies from M&S, it's cheaper. Cars cost here too, if you can buy in Darwin, do so. Accomodation is hard to get, they want a12 month commitment if you find one. Take your time adjusting, you will enjoy it. If you want more info them PM me Ken

• 3 weeks later...

Ken,

Thanks for your advice and yes we will look at getting the greyhound down to Katherine. We got granted our Visa yesterday so have booked flights for March and wil stay in Darwin for a few days to sort some admin issues out and to have a little break. We are so excited and so looking forward to getting out there.

Thanks to everyone for your advice and tips on Katherine!

Jase.

lol @ people saying that these tiny towns in the NT are more violent than Brixton :biglaugh: or even places like Grangetown in Cardiff. Broken Jaw state? A guy was killed in Cardiff outside one of the main pubs a few weeks back in a street fight. In London areas like brixton or peckham there are stabbings and shootings everyday.

There is a lot of euphemism going on here, combat let me tell you exactly what the posters are referring to when they say "culture shock" etc.

Pissed up and solvent upped Abo's.

I lived in Darwin for 5 months and never felt threatened by a skinny scrawny drunk out of his mind Aborginal or even groups of. Al they do is shout and scream at each other. Much more potential for violence in Shenanigans or Monsoon's, pubs full of European men.

Combat you will be fine mate, at least on a safety level especially given your military past.

Edited by digitalis