Melbourne Airport to train station

SparkleGirlSparkle

I will hopefully be flying into Melbourne airport (MEL) in a couple of weeks, and need to figure out the cheapest, but not necessarily the fastest, option of getting from the airport to the main city train station.

I don't think it matters which station I go to, because I'm getting on the Pakenham line. As far as I'm aware that stops at Melbourne Central Station, Parliament Station, Flinders Street Station and Southern Cross Station.

Yes I thinlk so- disgusting isn't it? Called a monopoly....

Wow, that is... outrageous (and that coming from a Londoner!)

Bus 904 stops near T4 (tiger terminal) to broadmeadows train station. Every 15 mins peak

Train to Melbourne

$6 one way

Used it a few times and really easy and cheap

Is the $6 for the bus or for the train, or for both? Where would I be able to pick up that ticket? Is it a long walk from the airport to the station?

If you've just come off a long haul flight though I'd go Skybus to avoid the changes...

Skybus takes you to Southern Cross, and you can jump straight on the Pakenham line from there - where are you coming out to?

:)

Now, I know the distances in Australia are longer than you think, but I'm pretty sure they don't class Sydney as long haul! I could be wrong though! I just need the cheapest fare, and if that means running around the airport and outside bus stops, so be it!

Guest The Pom Queen
Wow, that is... outrageous (and that coming from a Londoner!)

Is the $6 for the bus or for the train, or for both? Where would I be able to pick up that ticket? Is it a long walk from the airport to the station?

Now, I know the distances in Australia are longer than you think, but I'm pretty sure they don't class Sydney as long haul! I could be wrong though! I just need the cheapest fare, and if that means running around the airport and outside bus stops, so be it!

Where are you heading as you have various airport shuttles http://www.fapas.com.au/home from the airport to Frankston it would be $35

You have the Dandenong one that would get you to Berwick http://www.airportbusdandenong.com.au/fares its not far for your friend to pick you up or catch the train to Pakky

That doesn't seem quite as cheap. I also think my flight is due in for the afternoon, so won't be able to go direct to Berwick. At least that is how I read it. I will definitely keep that in mind though.

lol, sorry didn't realise you were in Sydney!

Melbourne PT tickets are different to Sydney, more like London (i.e. it's based on Zones rather than individual trips). However they've also just switched to Myki (like Oyster) with no short term alternative.

The $6 would be for a 2 hour ticket for both Zone 1 and 2 (which you'd need to head out Dandy/Pakenham way), and should be enough to cover you (a trip from the CBD out to Narre Warren takes ~52 minutes) but will depend on your connections

• 2 weeks later...

They're pretty good - u'll need to buy a myki card ($6 - nonrefundable) plus put some money on the card for your journey.

So long as your card has some money on it (even if its 20c) you can touch on for a journey (it will take the balance ibto negative) & then top it up later into positive again

Archived