2.2 Exchange Rate on PIO

Candygirl

Guest guest76088

The 2.2 is not an exchange rate: it is just a ratio of comparison estimate of your spending power. If you earned 20000GBP in UK, then such spending power would be achieved by 44000AUD.

If the currency exchange rate varied between UK and Australia or either country developed rampant inflation then you would have to revise your comparison.

It's a rule of thumb, although the Economist does global cost of living surveys if you want to dig deeper and it compares costs of baskets of groceries, tailored shirts etc etc

BigD

Could someone please explain to me why some members say to use the exchange rate 2.2 to the £1 when working out cost of living, house prices and wages etc.

BTW, if there is anyone in the Eurozone, do you use a different exchange rate?

Thanks in advance.

You know this for a fact? You know exactly where the source came from. Of course it is not coincidence that this is close to the long term historical average.

What does it matter what the source is anyway...

Long term historical average? Over what time period? Wasn't always like that when I was transferring money. It was around 2.4 for quite a while.

Oh silly me for not realising that it was *nothing* to do with the exchange rate but was to do with dividing respective average salaries (which also presumably have nothing to do with the exchange rate).

Honestly Fish, you do not seriously think that you are the first person in the world to think about prices and salaries and exchange rates do you.

These things are not linked by coincidence.

Anyway at least we are agreed that the 2.2 is a decent rul eof thumb.

We were asked a question about where the 2.2 came from on the expat forums...I answered it honestly as I remember and there was no intention of disparaging others answers just a simple honest recall of memory...we're weren't asked what was influenced by what in broad economic theory...it was specifically about where the PIO/BE 2.2 came from....I find it hard enough trying to explain to people who don't understand it, why the average salary rate is far better rate to use than the exchange rate when working out salaries or costs, without introducing the complexity of one influencing the other over time and them being broadly related. For those who understand that they don't need my spiel about the basics.

Archived