Changing drivers licence, no passport.

blossom

It looks like my other half may have chucked my passport away on a tidying spree last week! I have until the 15th of feb to swap my uk drivers licence for a sa one.

Does anyone know if this:

Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) travel document (valid up to five years after issue). Note: A person under the age of 18 who immigrates to Australia with his/her parent(s) will generally be included on the immigration paperwork of their parent(s);

Means your visa grant letter?? It is the only thing which I might possibly have out of the identity documents they want. Grrrrr

From the information on the SA transport website you are required to supply 1 form of evidence of identity from category A and category B then you won't need your passport. See Link Below...

http://www.sa.gov.au/subject/Transport%2C+travel+and+motoring/Motoring/Drivers+and+licences/Maintaining+and+updating+your+driver's+licence/Evidence+of+identity

Good Luck :)

You can get a certificate of evidence of residence status for $100 from the DIAC which would mean you wouldn't need your passport. I would think if you sent away for it tomorrow you would get it before the 15th February.

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/990i/certificates-of-status.htm

Thanks. I'm still kinda hoping the passport will turn up. And I had been hoping to leave applying for the licence until the last minute to build up some spare cash as it was, so a new passport is really gonna scupper that.

The weekend we will be turning the house upside down and I may have a murder on my hands. I had been planning on going for my boat licence tomorrow so it buggers that up too. Grrrrr

FYI - I never used my passport I just used my licenses UK and USA for ID that was 2 1/2 years ago - I now carry all three have done for over 2 years...never turned it in they never asked for it so I am in great shape have two passports UK and USA one more year citizenship here if I want a third passport - feel like James bloody bond..LOL But I digressed..sorry. Oh yes I took no tests at all.

I know I didnt take my passport I may have had my visa (Tourist at that time) and since I was over 3 months here actually 9 months I just gave them that and the USA License and they gave a me a license and returned the license back to me. This was despite the website at that time (2010) stating they would keep the license. Maybe I just got lucky. I know they are very strict the Police on you having either a valid international license or Australian license i spoke to them directly. The 90 day rule nit even 6 months which is typical of International Permits is not binding so look even though they ain't cheap here my SA License has been a a god send with banks, Immigration and as an ID - don't know if any of that helps. Best of luck.

Archived