Help!!! Don't know where to look first!

dinkydoo

We finally have our visas and my husband has a job offer, he will be working in Burwood.

Some of the suburbs we have looked into are as follows :- Bentleigh East, Cheltenham, Heatherton, Dingley Village, Mentone, Mordialloc, Ferntree Gully, Rowville, and Burwrood itself.

Please can anyone give me some idea of the types of ares these are, we are a couple in our 40's (no kids) we don't drink so don't need pubs, we do however like to ride our bikes and enjoy time outside. And like the idea of plenty of coffee shops to while away the hours when we're not at work.

I myself work with children so am hoping that wherever we settle there maybe opportunities for me too.

thanks in advance for your help.

Hi, we live in Mentone and it's a great area - if you like cycling then you're close to the beach and there are lots of cyclists out each day along Beach Road. Mordialloc isn't far down the coast and would also be good for cycling. Each town has plenty of coffee shops and a lovely atmosphere. The Frankston line services both these places and will take you straight into the city.

We've been here a year now and have an 18 month old, another due in a couple of weeks and 2 labradors. The people here have been really friendly and I can't imagine living anywhere else!

Cheltenham is one stop down the train line from Mentone - further from the coast but has a huge shopping centre called Southland which is handy for everything. You can also get to Waves Leisure Centre easily enough from all 3 places.

Burwood is not near the beach so I would look for areas around it, Box Hill, Ashwood, Malvern, Vermont. The councils covering the area are the City of Whitehorse and the City of Monash. The council sites provide a wealth of information about the suburbs etc. Basically the main road is the Burwood Highway so if you look up a map you will see what its like around there. Its a very nice leafy undulation part of the city.

Good luck

Burwood is a great place to work because you will have a wide choice of places to live- and nice places, too. You could look at anything from the Dandenong Ranges through to the city- world is your oyster. If it were me I would concentrate on the leafy Eastern suburbs- easy living, plenty to do and great shops! I wouldn't worry about the beach too much- Melbourne isn't so much of a beach culture really and it is too cold for much of the year. Check out Park Orchards and Donvale, even Blackburn Lake region or Forest Hill if you like a rural feel but still near the city and cafes, shops etc.

I wouldn't worry about the beach too much- Melbourne isn't so much of a beach culture really

Disagree entirely with you.

We chose Melbourne over Brisbane partly because nice beaches are so much more accessible in Melbourne. We could not live within a short walk of a stunning sandy beach in Brisbane. We use the beach all year round, as do many of our friends, swimming, boogie boarding, canoeing and snorkelling in summer and autumn, and walking, cycling along the beach path all year round. And then there are the beach cafes and restaurants, we always consider ourselves very lucky to live where we do because of the gorgeous beaches.

BB

We finally have our visas and my husband has a job offer, he will be working in Burwood.

Some of the suburbs we have looked into are as follows :- Bentleigh East, Cheltenham, Heatherton, Dingley Village, Mentone, Mordialloc, Ferntree Gully, Rowville, and Burwrood itself.

Please can anyone give me some idea of the types of ares these are, we are a couple in our 40's (no kids) we don't drink so don't need pubs, we do however like to ride our bikes and enjoy time outside. And like the idea of plenty of coffee shops to while away the hours when we're not at work.

I myself work with children so am hoping that wherever we settle there maybe opportunities for me too.

thanks in advance for your help.

Hi

We moved to Forest Hills October last year and love it. Great access to the city - Tram takes about an hour but you can drive on a good day in 25 mins. Nice shopping centre with Forest Chase on your doorstep and Burwood Highway shopping 3 mins away. Good access to get out and about and alot of the beaches are only about 30 mins drive ( Mentone etc)

Good side of town for a drive down Mornington peninsula (which we are doing this weekend) - easy access to Yarra valley and down to Philip island. Houses are a bit pricey but heys its a nice suburb and its melbourne !

Nothing here apart from petrol is cheap !

Really depends on where you will be working - DOnt move to Forest hills if you work in Altona - but its fairly good access to CBD.

Good luck and let us know where you settle

Archived