Burnie

deborahj

Dear all,

I have been offered a job in Burnie Tasmania and am wondering if anone can help with information about the area. We are a family of 6 and my eldest child (22) will be staying in the UK. My husband works as a self employed music teacher and plays in a band. I work in healthcare and am awaiting my 457 visa. I am wondering if anyone can tell me if Burnie is a noce place to live. We currently livce in Manchester (UK) and hate . We want a peaceful relaxing life from now on.

Many thanks

Debs

I worked in Burnie for 9 years and, although that was 1979-88, I think I can give you some information which is still relevant.

It would certainly be a much more peaceful and relaxing life than Manchester!

The town itself has a population of about 20,000 but is in the centre of very rich farming land and there are many small communities around it. It has a stunning location right on the coast and beautiful undulating land behind it with great views along the coast and inland to the mountains.

When I was there its main industry was a large pulp and paper mill but that has since closed and Burnie has worked hard to "facelift" its industrial image. I'm not sure which would be its largest employer at the moment but it is the centre of engineering works for the mining industry (down the West Coast of Tasmania) and there is a large dairy/cheese factory there.

Shopping would be very pedestrian compared to Manchester. Launceston (population about 100,000) would be the nearest town of any size.

I had a daughter who had a very good education at Burnie High School and Hellyer College (years 11 and 12) - though I don't know what their standards are now. There is also a campus of the University of Tasmania. There was a very active theatre scene there at the time and a wonderful Youth Theatre which consumed most of her spare time. As I recall, lots of sports around the area including sailing, surf lifesaving, horseriding.

I was very happy there - we lived on 5 acres out near Boat Harbour Beach, which was just gorgeous. Plenty of small acreage lots within commuting distance of Burnie if that is your style.

Vivien

Personally I would not want to live in Burnie, especially with a young family.

Theres really not much there.We have been for a "look around", and its "not all that". Its a long way from Launceston for main shops.

Different people will have different opinions,but I think you would be better heading for somewhere like Hobart, if you are set on Tasmania.

Lots of areas of Hobart can be peaceful , if you want the quiet life,but there will be far more for you to do,in your leisure time there.

It does depend what the OP's personal image of a "peaceful, relaxing life" is.

A town of 20,000 versus one of 200,000+?

Perhaps if deborahj can give more specific details of the life they are hoping for, it will give a better idea of which location will suit.