Which portable DVD player to buy - multi-regional?

Tuosist

Seeking recommendations and/or reviews.

I am researching which portable DVD player to buy to take on our flight from Ireland to Australia. It is to play DVDs for my daughter who will be nearly 2 years of age when we fly (7th Feb 2013).

After considerable research reading reviews on http://www.amazon.co.uk I am at a loss as to which one to choose. I probably need to buy it online if I want a multi-regional player.

I think the ''premier brand' below is the best one of the bunch... however would like feedback.

I am currently only using DVDs from the UK (region 2) however presumed that in the future we would also want to use Australian (region 4) DVDs as well. Unless these can be copied onto USB.

Budget: up to £120 (hoping to get a cheaper one though)

Requirements:

• multi-regional
  • USB
  • Play DivX movies
  • rechargeable battery life minimum 2 hours preferably 4
  • comes with a standard plug
  • audio jack
  • not too heavy

Nice to have options

• car kit
  • swivel screen
  • case
  • option to use it in a car at a later date with headrest mount.
  • child lock

Current considerations from amazon uk:

Koolertron 9 Inch Portable DVD Player with TV USB Card Reader Radio Games Swivel LCD (Red cover) £44

comments: battery life seems rubbish as are games (would not play games)

Hyunregidai P2715 7" Multi region portable DVD/Mpeg4 player with USB, Card Reader and Carry case

£84

Comment: apparently the sound is not brilliant

Premier AV SB-D807 7-inch Multiregion Swivel Portable DVD Player with USB and Card Slot

£79

Current considerations from Argos in Ireland

Bush 9 Inch Portable DVD Player.

€97 (only DVD region 2)

or

Bush DVD1205 12 Inch Portable

£106 (region 2)

Recommendations and feedback would be very gratefully received!

thank you

I looked in to this - but ended up buying a Tablet, and putting lots of episodes of ITNG, Balamory and Waybaloo on mini sd card.

The battery lasted all the way to Australia, but could have charged it with usb on the plane.

I got Samsung Tab2 7 inch

Some of these portable DVD players batteries will only last about 4 hours, are bulky and will take up heaps of room in you bag with all the dvd's.

It took a little bit of time to rip the dvd and transfer on to a card, and left it to last min, so didnt manage to do as many as I would have liked. But was alot better than buying a portable dvd player.

I'd be wary of battery life as mentioned above. 24 hours long haul and it might be out before you are even taking off.

I know all kids are different. My son at that age didn't watch any movies. If we could get him to watch a 10 minute kids programme it was good going. Still the same now.

The in flight kids TV was ok and kept him occupied on and off.

If you are flying at nighttime out if Europe hopefully your little one will sleep a bit.

I looked in to this - but ended up buying a Tablet, and putting lots of episodes of ITNG, Balamory and Waybaloo on mini sd card.

The battery lasted all the way to Australia, but could have charged it with usb on the plane.

I got Samsung Tab2 7 inch

Some of these portable DVD players batteries will only last about 4 hours, are bulky and will take up heaps of room in you bag with all the dvd's.

It took a little bit of time to rip the dvd and transfer on to a card, and left it to last min, so didnt manage to do as many as I would have liked. But was alot better than buying a portable dvd player.

Hi Lrbourvellac,

We fly Etihad and they have a plug and usb port on each seat. I checked with the booking agent over the telephone so battery life is only relevant for the airport.

Your idea is interesting.

My toddler will watch Barney (the whole thing), Mr Tumble and some of the Midnight Garden.

I could rip the DVDs no problem.

I guess I was thinking that I want something that won't break if she holds it.

Did you attach the tablet to the seat table?

My OH has a samsung galaxy and my toddler likes the toddler apps he downloaded.

thanks for your advice

Hi Lebour

Looking at tablets. would the Leapfrog 2 tablet for kids be an option?

I was reading a review on Amazon that they can now take mp3 downloads.

So if I rip my dvds and convert them to DivX maybe this would be an option?

I think with all the best will in the world a 2 year old would damage a tablet.

Looking at tablets. would the Leapfrog 2 tablet for kids be an option?

I was reading a review on Amazon that they can now take mp3 downloads.

So if I rip my dvds and convert them to DivX maybe this would be an option?

I think with all the best will in the world a 2 year old would damage a tablet.

Having seen one in action, I don't think the screen is much good for watching movies on on the Leapfrog. Its pretty small. On the plus side you will have a kids learning toy you can use to for games, learning, photos and other things as she gets a bit bigger. Just the games cost money and my son's interest wanes in it pretty quickly as he knows there are better things out there to use (such a iPhone and iPad lol).

Having seen one in action, I don't think the screen is much good for watching movies on on the Leapfrog. Its pretty small. On the plus side you will have a kids learning toy you can use to for games, learning, photos and other things as she gets a bit bigger. Just the games cost money and my son's interest wanes in it pretty quickly as he knows there are better things out there to use (such a iPhone and iPad lol).

Yes I am now wondering if I just convert DVDs to play on my netbook and work out the keypad lock system and be diligent...

Its only for the trip.

Thanks Snifter for the feedback re the Leapfrog

Hi, we've done the trip 3 times in the past four years and while we've taken iPads for our 7 year old daughter she's only used them for about 20% of the time as she's been more than happy with the children's inflight entertainment (we always fly Singapore). We've got one of the innotabs and they are not good for movies and have not taken it on holiday with us. If it was me I'd either get a kindle fire hd or an ipad and download some DVDs and some free games apps.

Hope this helps.

Hi RichSelina

Thanks for the feedback. I am a bit put out as I bought a Kindle before the Kindle Fire came out...

I know its not going to be an attention grabber for hours on end but something helpful when necessary.

So might lean towards a tablet or Ipad.

Just conscious I don't want to overload ourselves with more gadgets!

Thinking the OH might go for the Samsung Tablet which he would use anyway and that might be therefore multi purpose.

I don't know what entertainment selection Etihad has however my 2 year old toddler only has exposure to about 4 TV shows and I suspect she would not be so interested in new things. Just trying to make the trip as pleasant as possible for everyone!

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I would give an update in case any other parents were in the same situation. After discussing this issue with various mums, I was told to move with the times and so bought a Nabi 2 from argos €199 with the kids xmas money. It has parent mode including internet and skype and kid mode. It should last for years. Its robust, can be dropped from a height of 9 feet. Has lots of free apps, drawing, games and I have used DVD catalyst software to transfer the kiddie DVDs onto the Nabi via micro sd card however there is a usb cable too. Its just for travel and won't replace much loved books and 'colours' aka crayons however it should occupy our toddler when necessary...hopefully! Also she can watch her Cbeebies shows on it as we will be staying somewhere without tv for several months when we first arrive in Oz. No bad thing. the screen is excellent. so we don't have to lug DVDs around... PS i suspect dad might get more use out of it, he loves the games.

Archived