Medical treatment for UK visitors

MikeW

Hi,

My Mother is visiting is for the UK for a couple of months. Unfortunately she tripped on Christmas Day and as a result she has torn her Achilles tendon and also has dvt (docs think it's as a result of resting her leg to aid recovery of Achilles injury).

Christmas Day I took her to hospital, they said they didn't think she had torn her ligaments and told her to rest.

Anyhow, she went to my local gp yesterday and he referred her to a private imaging who confirmed she has dvt and torn ligament. The scan cost $300.

We are going to see the gp this morning to see what treatment is required.

I called the insurance company my Mum used, and they've told me she is not covered for these scans etc as she should be using the free public system as UK residents are covered under the reciprocal agreement in Australia.

Even though it looks like we have to find the cost of the scan and doctors fee at $75 per visit, should we therefore tell the gp today that any treatment she requires should go through public (free) service?

I take it free service means turn up at local hospital and queue in a and e?

Do I need to take my mother to Medicare first?

This is annoying as we are following doctors advice which is important as dvt is serious.

What is the point taking out travel insurance when visiting Australia when they do not cover private, and when it's not required public due to the reciprocal agreement?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike.

My parents had emergency care for free, emergency GP or A&E, but had to pay for non emergency care. Keep all receipts as she may be able to claim with medicare. Get any scans etc done in the hospital as part of A&E. I think you've been done, but I guess there's not much you can do about it - and after all, your mum's health does take precedent.

Guest littlesarah

I know it's not much help to you now, Mike, but others might be able to learn from your experience. Most travel insurance includes a helpline number, and it's easiest to sort things out if you call them before obtaining medical help (or on admission if hospitalisation is required).

Treatment for the DVT should be provided via Medicare and would most certainly be covered under the reciprocal agreement. My guess is that an ultrasound scan would normally be covered, but not MRI or CT.

As far as I can see, you mother's circumstances would appear to constitute 'emergency care' - it's not like she elected to suffer and injury and consequential DVT. You may have to face losing any amount paid that is over the rebate amount, but hopefully you will be able to get something back.

This link has more info: http://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/enablers/medicare/reciprocal-health-care-agreements/health-care-for-visitors-to-australia

Archived