Bricklaying skills test

barry family

Hi everyone this is the year we are moving to Australia (cant wait so excited to do it). I have just passed my IELTS test and in Febuary I have a bricklaying skills test in London. Can anyone help me with some info on what the test entails i.e what do you build , written test , time limit etc... Ive been doing bricklaying for 22 yrs but just wanting to know what to expect. Thanks in advance for the help it is much appreciated

Seriously, you'll turn up they'll give you a drawing of a single skin corner racked up one side with cut up done with hammer and bolster, no disc cutter......lol....then the return is shorter but squared up,i think off memory one side was 4 long and the other was 5.5, oh and a pillar about 600mm away from one end, pillar was about 15 course high with a corble on top and filled in with headers, just make Sure you use a square cause they will to check it and follow the drawing to the letter, oh yea gauge they check so make Sure it's spit on and use a string line when seeing out pillar to wall cause he'll check with a long straight edge.

You'll have to set out the cavity but only one course but make sure you use the ties all the way up spaced and in the right course, oh and they pull on them too to see if you've missed any and pushed them in later.....lol .

Apart from that though that's about all it is,i think there was only about 230 bricks in it so it won't be the hardest days work you've ever done....lol

Good luck but I'm sure you won't need it.

Ps

That's when i did mine but i was in the first ones to ever do it so don't know if it's changed

I am not a brick layer but a carpenter, I did the skills test in London last year in September. My mate did the brick laying test, he passed said was easy. The test I did was also very easy the vetassess guys there were great. Really relaxed atmosphere, and helped out this other bloke loads to get him through. My advice is definitely take your own tools as they pulled there face when we asked to borrow a cordless which we were told would be provided. Best of luck and get there early.

I heard they have taken bricklayers off some state sponsors. But not sure on state, I only really know perth and well everybody who wants work as got work. Builders seem to be in a position where they can pick and choose work. But i would say go and visit to see which is best for you. Good luck with the visa process and don't get dispondant with the long waiting. Hard I know.

Thanks Craig. Agent told me I can only go to Adelaide or Perth . I was in Cairns last year and didnt want to go home,but agent said I cant go there yet on my bricky visa. I would have to do Adelaide or Perth for two years first. So really need to go were the work is. I do rigging(oil and gas industry) aswell when I have no work on a building site so maybe i,'ll have a good chance to find work. Could you please tell me what good areas to research in Perth.

Well perth seems to be divided in north of the river and south of the river. I am going north of the river there seems more to do up there. And there was more work opportunitys up north for me. I really liked freo to, but will be settling in Joondalup as loved the older suburbs around there. I am going edgewater which is close to mullaloo the local beach which I'd fantastic also near hillarys harbour and near shopping centres in Joondalup. Plus I want the kids go to edgewater primary. I don't have great knowledge of all areas as only really looked at where I will be staying. I am from stoke and would live anywhere in perth lol

My OH did his skills test here - think it was in October, I can't remember now what exactly he had to do, when you book your test though they do let you know. He took a few tools, level, line etc. He said if you were a tradesman there is nothing at all to worry about. They tell you on the day if you pass or not. Hardest part for us was getting there for 7.45am, we drove from Cheshire, so I got the tube into London whilst he did the test - tube is literally 3 mins from the College.

He said everyone was really nice and it was a relaxed atmosphere. Good luck you'll be fine.

Archived