What options are available for our 18 year old son?

dreaming

Hi everyone,

I am looking for some advice for our 18 year old son. We are moving over to WA in 2013 on a 176 visa.

Our son has had difficulties in school so doesn't hold any o level/standard grade equivelants, though does have some SQA units in basic subjects.

He attends college here doing a course on core skills ie numeracy, literacy etc and also has a part time job.

My question is what options are available for him when we arrive? His dream is to study drama/acting and we would love to find any pathway into this for him. I have looked at TAFE etc but can only find courses which appear to require academic qualifications... He is very independant, high functioning and the loveliest person you will meet.. he just doesn't have the academic capabilities of his peers. He has no formal diagnosis or health problems.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

He sounds like a lovely lad

Sorry I can't help but I think it would be reasonable to assume that a similar set of options would be on offer for him in WA. I know there are 4 different levels with the vocational courses at TAFE so he may be able to start at entry level and progress through. Wishing you all the best

Millie x

TAFE is going to be about your only option for further education especially when there are academic difficulties. The older he is the less are the entry requirements (ie mature students dont have to have the same basic educational qualifications for entry). If you head for the more practical courses you will probably find something that gels with him. I am willing to bet that the TAFE nearest you will have a special ed department as your lad wont be the only one with learning difficulties, give them a call for advice.

I'd definitely go and talk to the people at your local TAFE college in person It won't be until late January/early Feb now because of the long break but I think you will get further actually fronting up than just on the phone. Maybe phone first for an appouintment with the enrolment officer though.

Yes TAFE.

Im a secondary school teacher in Victoria. Almost everything here in Oz is admin driven and whilst there is a lot of work here, employers like paper quals not like in UK where you can give something a go if you have hands on experience.

Thanks everyone. We have a friend over there who is going to start collecting information for us at that end when everything starts up again in February. We will of course continue researching here.

We don't have a definate date for moving yet but will be there by end of June.

Thanks Stevie. Love reading your lingo, reminds me of wee Aberdonian gran lol.

Archived