Sydney bound in Feb '13!

JonnoA

Evening all,

Seen a few similar threads here but literally just joined today so thought I'd say hello!

I was offered a job in Sydney a month or so ago and have accepted / just waiting final confirmation on the VISA and looking to move out in Feb.

Know a few others out there (2 from Uni and 2 from previous jobs etc) but still gonna be brand new to the area and would be good to meet a few others who've made the plunge / are moving over.

Am single so will be going over alone, 29 and gnna be working on George Street so looking for a flat around there...

Anyway the name's Jon and good to meet you all.

Nope total plunge into the unknown! Met many people like you though who've just said how great the place is and I've got 2 buddies who are similar to me and love it so that's good!

Only met 1 person who didn't like it because he's got a fear of spiders (apparently lots of Redbacks!) and he was never the most outgoing so found making buddies difficult

Good luck!

George Street is the "main street" of the CBD so a bit like looking for a flat on London's Oxford St. You don't mention budget (Sydney is expensive for housing) but have a look for flatshares in Gumtree and similar - Surry Hills, Newtown, Glebe etc are all inner city areas with lots of life and young population. Pyrmont, Balmain also worth a look, slightly quieter and a bit older but still plenty of young professional singles around. Eastern suburbs if you must live by the beach (but catching a bus there is just as easy)

Definitely prioritise location over space when it comes to where you live. There's a lot of quiet, sprawly suburbia in Sydney (not knocking it, I live in it but I'm older and have a family) and I wouldn't recommend it for a <30 singleton. Go central and buzzy, get the commute as short as possible and enjoy the best of what city life can offer

Cheers! Good advice.

Price wise, not sure but I've budgeted all in AUD1,500 a month. Saw a lot of places around the AUD1,000 range so the extra 500 should cover bills, Internet etc unless I'm missing some serious taxes etc?

You might get a houe share for $1000 a month, but you are not going to get a flat for that in central Sydney. Rents are usually quoted per week not month, it might make sense to get into that habit so you don't have any massive misunderstandings.

Deffo a flatshare then. Rents here are usually advertised weekly. A nice small flat in a good central area is going to start somewhere north of $400 a week I think (my sis has a lovely small flat in Neutral Bay just north of the harbour for $500)

Yep, just checked, see here:

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-flatshare-houseshare/inner-sydney/c18294l3003771

Flatshares look to be about $200-$350 a week, so budget maybe $1200 a month for that and a bit on top for bills and you're in the right ballpark

Archived