Construction Project Managers

fergamy

Hey all,

well i am at a bit of a crossroads with my job at the moment, I'm a carpenter,working in Perth, with 12 years experience nearly all of that as a foreman/supervisor,i have heaps of work here but want to progress my career. I know i won't be able to stay on the tools for the rest of my working life.

So my question

Are the project management courses worthwhile or am I better off doing a diploma?

Am I mad to be even thinking about getting into this side of construction?

How can i kick start a career in project management?

many thanks

I was in the same sort of predicament when I was in the UK in my late 30's. I had an apprenticeship as a fitter with the coalboard, worked for several different companies over a few years, so had heaps of experience. Jobs were disappearing fast though and it got to the point where I had to decide whether to go back into education and try and change my career path or just carry on. I was single at the time so chose a HTC course followed by a 3 year degree. Didn't enjoy it that much 'cos I had been used to having as much money in my pocket as I needed for anything I fancied from being about 16. Going back to surviving on a grant and living in student digs was a shock to the system.

It's worked out great now, 20 years down the track where I now work in IT and have done project management and several other interesting jobs.

I don't know about the project management courses as a means to getting a job. I guess they will give you the theory and show you what tools are available as a PM but you still need the first job to get the experience. You will be taking a hit in salary for a few years probably, with no guarantees of a better job at the end of it. Project Management is pretty stressful, sometimes meaning being available 24 hrs a day and maybe wouldn't be a heap more money than your on at the moment.

If you have a lot of work on and are fairly happy in your job at the moment it's a big call to try and change your career. Another option would be to have a word with your employers and let them know of your ambitions. They might have a training scheme or some way for you to get where you want with in the company. If not ask around a few of the bigger companies around Perth and see if they have anything on offer. You never know if you don't ask.

Good luck, being a carpenter is a pretty good job but physical work gets harder as you get older.

Thanks Paul,

yeah the mind is doing overtime at the moment, i'll staying on the tools for a while yet, am just trying to get an idea in my head for the future, as for the company i work for, well lets just say they don't plan or look to the future its all about the quick $, have a bunch of clowns running the show, and i really do think the company motto is "we pay peanuts" one of the construction supervisors has no construction experience just a ticket for the forklifts and i do half his job for him at the moment, right thats my moan over.

Thanks Paul,

yeah the mind is doing overtime at the moment, i'll staying on the tools for a while yet, am just trying to get an idea in my head for the future, as for the company i work for, well lets just say they don't plan or look to the future its all about the quick $, have a bunch of clowns running the show, and i really do think the company motto is "we pay peanuts" one of the construction supervisors has no construction experience just a ticket for the forklifts and i do half his job for him at the moment, right thats my moan over.

I would still make enquiries with the bigger companies in your field. There are not that many young people who have a thought about how they can further their career so you might be pleasantly surprised by the response if you are keen to get on.

It was touch and go whether I completed my degree or not. I could have easily quite after the first year as I went to Uni running round in a Lotus Cortina and had money to burn, used to go abroad with mates 3 or 4 times a year, hated Birmingham Uni where I went and ran out of cash in the second year. Had to take the car home as the diff was making a noise and I couldn't afford to fix it or insure it.

Even after finishing I was on a new graduate training scheme and earned about as much as I had just after I finished my apprenticeship. Took a long time to get back on decent money. If you can get a traineeship with one of the big miners or something that might be the way to go. I know they take on a few time served guys as well as graduates. It's not easy to get on as there are a lot of applicants, but possible. Good luck.

Archived