Pregnant Girlfriend on Bridge Visa

Guest exciteddadtobe

Guest exciteddadtobe

Please help.

My girlfriend is currently 2 months pregnant and on a tourist visa. We plan to apply for partner visa, if I'm right, after applying for partner visa, we can apply for bridge visa so that she can stay here in Oz while waiting for decision on the partner visa application? The thing is she's pregnant, assuming that she's still on bridge visa when she gives birth, can she have access to public hospital here in Australia? If yes, do you know how much it would cost us (ballpark) since she's not yet a resident and she would not be covered under Medicare. I am really confused - I am currently living in Brisbane, I went to the immigration office but the only information they would tell me is to read on the website.

Thank you in advanced.

Guest GeorgeD

If she applies for a spouse visa she will need to do a medical...which includes an x-ray. Clearly this isn't a good idea for pregnant women. I'm not sure if you can apply onshore and hold off for 7 months or so before you do your medical. Hopefully someone will be along soon who has be in this situation.

Sorry, don't know about her medicare entitlement.

ignoring the X-ray issue, (which is probably going to be the main issue). If she were to apply onshore for a partner visa, she would get interim medicare (blue card) which entitles her to the same medicare cover as permanent residents/citizens, but the card needs renewing every year.

Guest exciteddadtobe

Thanks RockDr for the info.

Will it be possible to delay the xray to lets say 5 months? I know it sounds impossible but yeah, anyone has an idea how she can stay here in Oz and give birth? Maybe have her stay as tourist first then after she gives birth, we lodge a partner visa application? Or if she applies off shore, will she be required to go through medical - or she only needs to do medical when shes here already? Hope anyone can help me.

ignoring the X-ray issue, (which is probably going to be the main issue). If she were to apply onshore for a partner visa, she would get interim medicare (blue card) which entitles her to the same medicare cover as permanent residents/citizens, but the card needs renewing every year.

You get a blue card once you apply or once you get approved for the 820 visa?

Guest GeorgeD
Thanks RockDr for the info.

Will it be possible to delay the xray to lets say 5 months? I know it sounds impossible but yeah, anyone has an idea how she can stay here in Oz and give birth? Maybe have her stay as tourist first then after she gives birth, we lodge a partner visa application? Or if she applies off shore, will she be required to go through medical - or she only needs to do medical when shes here already? Hope anyone can help me.

She can apply onshore or offshore, and in either case a medical including x-ray is a requirement. She won't be approved a spouse visa without it. What you need to be careful of is getting a CO who decides to assess her with the information at hand...and if there is no x-ray in the medical then she can't pass her medical and her visa could be refused. Equally, pregnant women shouldn't have x-rays at any point during the pregnancy.

If I were you, I would speak to a registered agent who can advise how a Case Officer would normally approach this situation, what the guidance from DIAC is, and help you decide which visa (on/offshore) is best and when to apply.

I don't know how helpful this is, but I applied onshore ( I was pregnant too) and was given a bridging visa and then the medical was done after the birth - as x -rays were not allowed ( and I would not have risked my baby anyway) until after the birth.

On my bridging visa I had full access to medicare ( the card had to be renewed annually until my full visa was approved). This was a few years ago though, so I don't know if requirements have changed since then.

Guest exciteddadtobe
I don't know how helpful this is, but I applied onshore ( I was pregnant too) and was given a bridging visa and then the medical was done after the birth - as x -rays were not allowed ( and I would not have risked my baby anyway) until after the birth.

On my bridging visa I had full access to medicare ( the card had to be renewed annually until my full visa was approved). This was a few years ago though, so I don't know if requirements have changed since then.

Thanks Sammy. Your situation's giving me hope! Will have to speak with a migration agent as we are not really sure how to proceed with our situation.

Guest exciteddadtobe

If I were you, I would speak to a registered agent who can advise how a Case Officer would normally approach this situation, what the guidance from DIAC is, and help you decide which visa (on/offshore) is best and when to apply.

You know any registered agent within Brisbane who you can recommend? I went back to immigration and again, it was futile, was told to refer to the website.

Guest exciteddadtobe
I can recommend George Lombard. He is in Sydney but can work via phone and email. Good luck.

Thanks mate. You know how much he charges? Will this be per hour? Per visit? Per paper? Thanks again.

Archived