Jaguar and Land Rover to be made in China

Lambethlad

The china plant is for additional capacity. As sales are up and there are new JLR models in the pipeline. However if there is a downturn in a few years time. You know the most expensive production plant will be chopped. This is unlikely to be china due to the low wage costs.

Note: Mercedes Benz and BMW already produce cars in china.

I used to work for a company here that had a few dealings with China. Had some big money promised from Chinese investors. Had a load of Chinese come over here and the company paid for them to come, hired a mini bus for them to go site seeing, layed on drinks every night, entertained them every night.

They went out one night and the secretary of the CEO had been asked to take one of the Chinese guys home as he had a few too many to drink. He assumed she was part of the deal and assaulted her in the car. She was really upset the next day at work and was going to report it. The CEO talked her out of it as it would have caused big problems.

They promised the Earth, the company shipped loads of gear over, they then insisted that part of the deal would be moving a lot of the manufacturing over there. This was done, including heaps of training all supplied free by the company I worked for. Time for orders to come in and payment for gear supplied and suddenly nothing but problems.

Ended up with the company here going broke and not a penny received from China. Beware, wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them.

Guest paulwbafc
I used to work for a company here that had a few dealings with China. Had some big money promised from Chinese investors. Had a load of Chinese come over here and the company paid for them to come, hired a mini bus for them to go site seeing, layed on drinks every night, entertained them every night.

They went out one night and the secretary of the CEO had been asked to take one of the Chinese guys home as he had a few too many to drink. He assumed she was part of the deal and assaulted her in the car. She was really upset the next day at work and was going to report it. The CEO talked her out of it as it would have caused big problems.

They promised the Earth, the company shipped loads of gear over, they then insisted that part of the deal would be moving a lot of the manufacturing over there. This was done, including heaps of training all supplied free by the company I worked for. Time for orders to come in and payment for gear supplied and suddenly nothing but problems.

Ended up with the company here going broke and not a penny received from China. Beware, wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them.

sounds like how rover group got stiched up. I was at longbridge when SAIC had the rover board of directors to seal a deal. The chinese wined and dined the rover directors and got them to sign away the rights to the k-series engine. Once they had that SAIC had rover by the balls and before we knew it rover was in crisis running out of money and SAIC knew it. As we know rover collapsed the Powertrain K-series engine factory got shipped to china lifted and shifted. Nanjing came in took over whats left.

China at the moment as a whole has a rapidly growing middle class demanding european cars. The figures quoted are startling and petrol is not going to be around long reading between the lines. China will be building millions of cars in the not too distant future. Did anyone see top gear in china? if you listened to the projections on chinas car market its massive. they will build in the uk, and far more in china.

sounds like how rover group got stiched up. I was at longbridge when SAIC had the rover board of directors to seal a deal. The chinese wined and dined the rover directors and got them to sign away the rights to the k-series engine. Once they had that SAIC had rover by the balls and before we knew it rover was in crisis running out of money and SAIC knew it. As we know rover collapsed the Powertrain K-series engine factory got shipped to china lifted and shifted. Nanjing came in took over whats left.

China at the moment as a whole has a rapidly growing middle class demanding european cars. The figures quoted are startling and petrol is not going to be around long reading between the lines. China will be building millions of cars in the not too distant future. Did anyone see top gear in china? if you listened to the projections on chinas car market its massive. they will build in the uk, and far more in china.

I would say Rover got shafted by the charlatans who were running it at the time more than anything else. One of the most obvious cash extraction scams of recent times. Appalling behaviour both by them and the UK Government of the time

I'm tempted to say P1P's story is an example of a similarly badly run company more than anything else, without knowing any of the facts or background of course. Any management that sells the farm to that extent without actually having anything of any legal standing in return is asking for trouble. Covering up criminal assaults is equally indicative of a lack of backbone - disgraceful performance

Guest paulwbafc

basically this is one of the reasons that there is another resource boom round the corner in Australia. Fueled by china's demand for motor cars for one. China needs Australias resources as it is the only country in the world that has the capacity to supply china.

There are some big figures in that article like "Last year, it earned over $400,000 in profit per employee". Then the article goes on to say "Apple executives say that going overseas, at this point, is their only option". They are just greedy and apple products are way over priced. When is enough profit enough.....never!!

Chinese workers will eventually wake up and find out that they are being exploited. When I was working over there doing training for the company I worked for we asked some of the guys working with us if they wanted to come out for a drink in the local town. A few did. Next day the guy that was running the show from our company was called into a meeting with his Chinese counterpart. He came out looking a bit flushed and pulled us all to one side and said the Chinese weren't happy that some of the workforce had been out with us. He asked if he could stop us going out at night so it proved he was in control of us. We obviously told him to take a running jump as it was pretty crap where we were staying and going out for a drink was the only thing keeping us there.

The Chinese boss couldn't believe that we had just ignored our guy and the locals weren't allowed to come out with us again.

I would say Rover got shafted by the charlatans who were running it at the time more than anything else. One of the most obvious cash extraction scams of recent times. Appalling behaviour both by them and the UK Government of the time

I'm tempted to say P1P's story is an example of a similarly badly run company more than anything else, without knowing any of the facts or background of course. Any management that sells the farm to that extent without actually having anything of any legal standing in return is asking for trouble. Covering up criminal assaults is equally indicative of a lack of backbone - disgraceful performance

Thought exactly the same at the time Northshore but everyone bends over backwards to accommodate the Chinese and ignore their human rights performance, if it means money and more profits for themselves. With the Chinese workforce slowly waking up I hope it changes soon. I don't think the bigger companies are any better tbh. If they can get something done in China cheaper than here they will. Doesn't matter that the workers are being exploited and treated like crap. Same with the miners and heavy engineering. Have a check how many Chinese Coal miners are killed in a year, it's frightening. Then there's the nigh on non-existant health and safety rules. As a Chinese worker you basically have to do what your told to do when you are told to do it, 24 hrs a day.

Ours was a smallish company which had done pretty well in Aus working with and for Telstra. Thought they were going to make their fortune in China and if half of what they promised had come off it would have been great. The Chinese only make deals when there is plenty in it for them.

There are some big figures in that article like "Last year, it earned over $400,000 in profit per employee". Then the article goes on to say "Apple executives say that going overseas, at this point, is their only option". They are just greedy and apple products are way over priced. When is enough profit enough.....never!!

Chinese workers will eventually wake up and find out that they are being exploited. When I was working over there doing training for the company I worked for we asked some of the guys working with us if they wanted to come out for a drink in the local town. A few did. Next day the guy that was running the show from our company was called into a meeting with his Chinese counterpart. He came out looking a bit flushed and pulled us all to one side and said the Chinese weren't happy that some of the workforce had been out with us. He asked if he could stop us going out at night so it proved he was in control of us. We obviously told him to take a running jump as it was pretty crap where we were staying and going out for a drink was the only thing keeping us there.

The Chinese boss couldn't believe that we had just ignored our guy and the locals weren't allowed to come out with us again.

You missed the crux of the article. It was the sheer technical capability and quality that got China the screen glass business, after the most technologically advanced nation on the planet (U.S) couldn't do the job. That speaks volumes

Guest paulwbafc

I'm tempted to say P1P's story is an example of a similarly badly run company more than anything else, without knowing any of the facts or background of course. Any management that sells the farm to that extent without actually having anything of any legal

standing in return is asking for trouble. Covering up criminal assaults is equally indicative of a lack of backbone - disgraceful

performance

Yep John towers and the rest did play there part your right there. No denying that. The Chinese took advantage and so did towers in the ailing car firm. Soon as the rights were sold off at that party as I said it was all over. The Chinese keep there cards close to there chest very secretive any other way they get offended. It's there culture reflective in the government in china.

You missed the crux of the article. It was the sheer technical capability and quality that got China the screen glass business, after the most technologically advanced nation on the planet (U.S) couldn't do the job. That speaks volumes

The crux, for me was the ability for some genius at apple to change the design at the last minute and then expect workers in China to get up with a cup of tea and a biscuit and then work a 12 Hr shift to fix his stuff up. Depends what you call an advanced nation too. One that takes it's workers rights into consideration and values them as employees or one that doesn't give a stuff about workers rights and treats them as consumables. One quits, gets injured or killed, just replace them with another one and tell them how lucky they are to have a job.

I'm sure American companies could have done the job, just meant that apple would have had to settle for less profit and maybe the designer would be able to get his act together 12 hrs before the thing is due on the shelf.

Guest chris955
basically this is one of the reasons that there is another resource boom round the corner in Australia. Fueled by china's demand for motor cars for one. China needs Australias resources as it is the only country in the world that has the capacity to supply china.

You obviously know nothing about resources if you honestly think that.

Archived