Working holiday - this time next year

smivel

I went on a whv to oz in dec 2008. Stayed for the full year travelling and working.

If ur around the sydney area looking for work i worked at a place called call centers australia. If u dont mind working on the phones its good pay think it was about $24phr back then. Im emigrating out there at the end of the year and thats the first place i will apply for work. Its about a 3 min walk from then central station.

Earn as much as u can in ur first few months. And get in the swing of what aussie life is before u do the travelling.

Yha hostels are great and i paid about $30 for an annual membership which gave me discounts on accommodation and excursions through the yha. Peter pan travel is good to use in oz and have great prices. There are plenty of travel agents around and go to places that are not just ur typical tourist attraction!

Share rooms in the youth hostels and get to know everyone. U will make so many friends just keep wary.

I was 21 when i went and travelled on my own best thing i ever did. Dont be afraid to split up from ur friend and have some independence.

Have u looked at travel insurance? I paid 50p a day with columbus direct. Not sure what it is now.

I booked flights with sta travel and got a discount card. Not sure if they sell seperate but worth asking saved me so much on enterance fees.

I applied for my visa nov 2008 and got a call the next day to say it was granted! I flew 2 weeks later!

If ur using a mobile vodafone is the best cost wise. Check when u top up as they have different packages like $30 gave u $150 credit to use. I found these cheaper for contacting the uk aswell.

Any questions give me a shout ill be more than happy to help!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good post thanks!

I'm not a big fan of being in an office so a call centre might not be for me, but really I'll probably take whatever work is going. Especially for 24 dollars an hour haha.

I've not looked at insurance yet, keep seeing world nomands mentioned though. Did you use Columbus at any point?

STA travel came up more expensive on the flights I've booked, will look into whether I can get a card or not though.

Good post thanks!

I'm not a big fan of being in an office so a call centre might not be for me, but really I'll probably take whatever work is going. Especially for 24 dollars an hour haha.

I've not looked at insurance yet, keep seeing world nomands mentioned though. Did you use Columbus at any point?

STA travel came up more expensive on the flights I've booked, will look into whether I can get a card or not though.

Yea i always use columbus direct when im over in oz always found them reasonable. Not heard of the other company u mentioned.

Calls centres are not for everyone but the wage is decent. U do the hours u want aswell. Either 9 till 2 or 2 till 8.

Definately give sta a call. Look out for any discounts haha but a yha card gives u good benefits too. So ur prob better off getting that if ur staying in yha's too.

If ur using a mobile vodafone is the best cost wise. Check when u top up as they have different packages like $30 gave u $150 credit to use. I found these cheaper for contacting the uk aswell.

Vodafone are beyond useless here. The coverage is appauling. I'd say go with Optus, $30 a month (PAYG) gives you heaps of calls, texts and internet usage and the coverage is pretty good, not as good as Telstra, but still good. Vodafone are notorious for being useless. I even met someone who worked for them out once and I asked him why are they so bad, he agreed they are awful and just said they pay me, I'll make do!

Hi all,

Thought I'd introduce myself. I'm heading over in October this year - starting with a few days in Hong Kong then a couple of months in Perth before heading on to Melbourne. I don't really have a plan! Just going to see what happens really. Seems like there are quite a few people heading out in October but mostly to Melbourne?

I've got my visa (approved in 3 hours online) and flights booked. Good to hear tips on the phone network - thanks for that.

​Ilona

I think heading out there without a plan is the best thing to do. If I made a plan there is next to no chance it would still be in use after about a week haha. ]

I think Melbourne is probably where we will go to to begin with. Have you got any work lined up or anything in Perth?

No work lined up in Perth but I'm going to be staying with some friends initially so I'll get them to keep an eye out closer to the time for any temp work. I'm not that worried about getting work there though. I reckon I can cope for a couple of months.

I think you're right about the plan. I've got a list of things I'd like to do and friend I'd like to see but that's all really, and I'm sure the list will get longer when I get there and start talking to people!

Yep just me. Had a pretty rubbish last 6 months so made a bit of an impulse decision get away for a year or so.

I've got friends in Perth, Melbourne, Alice Springs and Sydney to visit though. Some Brits doing the same thing and some Aussies who live there. Also planning on going over to NZ for a couple of weeks to see a friend who will be there training to be a commercial airline pilot.

I recently went gliding over here and I've heard there's good gliding near Perth so going to try to do that too. Just spend a year making the most of life really and not worry about my career back here etc.

​What about you?

Just spend a year making the most of life really and not worry about my career back here etc.

Definitely this haha can't wait to have some time off real life.

Hopefully will be a bit better for you in australia then eh!

There are 2 of us going to Thailand then onto Aus, and another mate is planning on going straight to Australia, so will probably go wherever he goes as our first stop.

Where abouts are you from?

Guest The Pom Queen
Hi all,

Thought I'd introduce myself. I'm heading over in October this year - starting with a few days in Hong Kong then a couple of months in Perth before heading on to Melbourne. I don't really have a plan! Just going to see what happens really. Seems like there are quite a few people heading out in October but mostly to Melbourne?

I've got my visa (approved in 3 hours online) and flights booked. Good to hear tips on the phone network - thanks for that.

​Ilona

Welcome to the forum. Hong Kong is an eye opener, I did enjoy it though but talk about hustle and bustle and no one has any manners, they have no idea how to queue for a start. Never been to Perth myself, lived in Melbourne 8 years and been in Cairns coming up 3 years.

Definitely this haha can't wait to have some time off real life. Hopefully will be a bit better for you in australia then eh! There are 2 of us going to Thailand then onto Aus, and another mate is planning on going straight to Australia, so will probably go wherever he goes as our first stop. Where abouts are you from?

I'm from Essex originally (don't hold it against me) but moved to Surrey about 9 years ago for uni and then stayed.

Welcome to the forum. Hong Kong is an eye opener, I did enjoy it though but talk about hustle and bustle and no one has any manners, they have no idea how to queue for a start. Never been to Perth myself, lived in Melbourne 8 years and been in Cairns coming up 3 years.

Hi! Thanks for the welcome. I'm actually visiting a friend in Hong Kong who has lived there for 3 years so I'm hoping she'll be a good tour guide and I'll get to see some of the less touristy stuff too. I have heard it is a bit crazy though.

I hadn't thought about going to Cairns, but I think if I decide to stay the 2nd year then I might try and head up that way.

Anyone know if it will take any extra time to process my visa with me having a minor criminal record? Both things on it are from when I was under 16, one is possession of cannabis and the other criminal damage, so nothing too serious really.

Anyone know if it will take any extra time to process my visa with me having a minor criminal record? Both things on it are from when I was under 16, one is possession of cannabis and the other criminal damage, so nothing too serious really.

It might, hopefully not though. Just make sure you definitely declare it on the form

Guest The Pom Queen
My visa just got approved! I'm so happy! After all the drama that happened with Korea, this only took 3 hours to get approved! Thank you, Australia!

I'm excited to get flights booked so that we can start making a more definite plan.

Great news congratulations

• 2 weeks later...

VISA APPROVED!

Applied on Thursday, got the email about 12 today. Honestly thought it would take longer or they might want to ask some questions so I'm pretty buzzing. Roll on October for Thailand then onto Aus!

Does anyone think it is worth sending my CV to some companies who do the work I do over here? Or will they not entertain you til you're in the country?

VISA APPROVED!

Applied on Thursday, got the email about 12 today. Honestly thought it would take longer or they might want to ask some questions so I'm pretty buzzing. Roll on October for Thailand then onto Aus!

Does anyone think it is worth sending my CV to some companies who do the work I do over here? Or will they not entertain you til you're in the country?

Congrats! You'll have a amazing time, wish i was going! What do you work as, i would think most would only want to speak to you once your there but no harm in trying!