Tools & Plumbing

Bod

Hello all first time on.

I'm a plumber just going through police checks and medicals. not sure if we will get visa or not but trying to plan as much as possble (Trying to be posative)

Q Can I use my cordless power tools in Aus (charging them up).

Q Are tools exspensive over there should I ship all my tools.

Q Is there much work for us plumbers.

Thanks John

Guest Gollywobbler
Hello all first time on.

I'm a plumber just going through police checks and medicals. not sure if we will get visa or not but trying to plan as much as possble (Trying to be posative)

Thanks John

Hi John

Being female, I haven't a clue about electrics for your tools, but this website might help:

http://www.avalook.com.au/gadgets.htm#power

If you tell Google something like Cordless Drill + Australia, you'll get links to Australian suppliers of the items, which will give you a fair idea of the prices.

If you move to somewhere which is growing (eg Perth to name but one) there must be loads of work for plumbers because of all the new-build going on.

Good luck

Gill

Guest ABCDiamond
Hello all first time on.

Thanks John

I cant help too much with prices either, but one thing that I have seen a lot about is the fact that we do NOT use 110v stuff here, everything is 240v, so the 110v UK building industry power equipment isn't much use.

I would imagine that your cordless power equipment will be OK though, but if the plug on the charger cannot be changed, make sure you bring a UK power board, so you can plug the charger into that, and just change the standard plug on the power board.

This link may help, but I didn't see prices on it.

http://www.blackanddecker.com.au

Guest scoop

ABC Diamond is it also true, read somewhere I think, that Australian plugs don't have fuses so to bring a few spares?

Thanks

SCoop

x

Guest scoop

Sorry John forgot to say Hi and welcome to Poms :D

Good luck with your plans hun :D

Regards

SCoop

x

Guest ABCDiamond
ABC Diamond is it also true, read somewhere I think, that Australian plugs don't have fuses so to bring a few spares?

Thanks

SCoop

x

That is correct, no fuses in the plugs here, so bring spares for any UK plugs that you may be keeping.

Guest ABCDiamond
Do you have lots of house fires because of this???

SCoop

x

I'm not sure. The safety switch's we have are supposed to cover that situation.
A safety switch can sense faulty appliances or bad wiring and cut off the power in a fraction of a second - protecting you from severe shock.
All houses now have to have these, at least in QLD, but I haven't really checked out how it all works.

Some figures though:

Australia

Each year there are over 10,000 house fires in Australia, causing more than 1,500 injuries and 70 deaths.

source

UK

Every year there are more than 40,000 accidental house fires in England resulting in about 285 deaths and 9,000 people injured.

source

Based on an Australia Population of 20M, and an England Population of 50M, Australia appears to be safer for this, (Not sure about Scotland and Wales comparisons), although maybe partly due to some very strict laws on who can do Electrical work in the house ?

Archived