Question re getting a new visa while exsisting visa is in place??

Spherian

Hi Guys.

Just wondering if any of you have had any experiance with my situation.

Ok, I am currently in Australia, I am on a student visa which doesnt expire until 2014, but i have managed to secure a great job, however sponsorship is not an option. I have an Australian partner and want to apply for defacto, Now if I filed my application say in January for a defacto visa, could I request that I be placed on a bridging visa so I dont have to attend college - until this visa is granted?

Any similar experiances would be appreciated,

Me.

No. Your bridging visa doesn't kick in until your other one expires.

From what I have seen of other people trying to do this they had asked if they could cancel the student visa and then go onto the bridging visa. I'm pretty sure the answer was no as once the student visa was cancelled there was no visa to bridge to. Probably best find a good agent to check that out.

Hi Guys.

Just wondering if any of you have had any experiance with my situation.

Ok, I am currently in Australia, I am on a student visa which doesnt expire until 2014, but i have managed to secure a great job, however sponsorship is not an option. I have an Australian partner and want to apply for defacto, Now if I filed my application say in January for a defacto visa, could I request that I be placed on a bridging visa so I dont have to attend college - until this visa is granted?

Any similar experiances would be appreciated,

Me.

No for reasons Blossom pointed out. You can't just ask to go on a bridging visa, a bridging visa only kicks in when one visa *expires* (i.e. not cancelled) and before the other one kicks in. Not sure I udnerstand why someone came over on a student visa if they don't want to go to college, but if you really don't want to then one strategy would be to cancel student visa, come in on tourist visa (hope you are not turned away at the airport) and then apply for the partner visa. Then you would get a bridging visa after the tourist visa expires, trouble is you won't be able to work.

I would stick it out at college, any reason you cannot apply before january?

No for reasons Blossom pointed out. You can't just ask to go on a bridging visa, a bridging visa only kicks in when one visa *expires* (i.e. not cancelled) and before the other one kicks in. Not sure I udnerstand why someone came over on a student visa if they don't want to go to college, but if you really don't want to then one strategy would be to cancel student visa, come in on tourist visa (hope you are not turned away at the airport) and then apply for the partner visa. Then you would get a bridging visa after the tourist visa expires, trouble is you won't be able to work.

I would stick it out at college, any reason you cannot apply before january?

Thanks Guys.. Thats what I assumed but thought I'd ask...

In regards to me coming to Australia, I actually came here 3 years ago on a WHV for 2 years travelled all of australia, done the party thing and then settled down in Perth with no idea what my next plan was. I applied for TRA skills assessment around 7 months before my 2nd holiday visa expired - it took the 8 months to give me a outcome by this time I was already on my student visa to which I have already gained 2 additional certs and this has led to my job offer now.

Me continuing the course will mean I wont be able to accept the job and its one of them jobs where I was in the right place at the right time.

Thanks Guys.

Archived