Childcare costs for 2 year olds???

jenki

Hi all,

Can anyone help me please?

I've got 2 year old twins who go to a nursery in England for 3 mornings and love it.

We're hoping to move to Melbourne in June this year and would like the girls to go to a nursery there too. Trying to keep some sense of 'normality' for them. Plus hope to make some new friends for them!!!

I've heard that the childcare in Australia is expensive so I just wondered if anyone could give me an idea about fees for nurseries in Australia or give me an idea where to find out about them.

That's all really. Of course if there's anyone in Melbourne who wants to tell me how they're finding it, that'd be great too.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks guys.

Hi, im moving to Perth in 2 weeks with my 2 (nearly 3) yr old daughter, she has a full time nursery place waiting, ive found prices are about the same as they are here, i will be paying £520 per month (ouch) and pay £28 a day here so not much difference! Except she will get to play outside alot more there!

Suzy, thanks for replying.

I'm glad to hear that costs are similar in Oz to the UK (it's all in the name of research!).

How did you arrange a place from the UK?

When it came to finding a nursery for the girls here, I visited a few before finding 'the right one'.

That's obviously not possible from so far but I'd like the girls to go to nursery so that they'll have their routine and I'll be able to get other stuff sorted (like a permanent place to live!).

Thanks for any advice/suggestions that you may have - although if you're off in 2 weeks (WOW) I'm sure you've got enough to be doing!!! GOOD LUCK!!!

HI JENKI,

I had heard it was really hard getting a nursery place as they have long waiting lists (6 months or more), and if a vacany was found it could be quite a distance away.

I looked at quite a few nurseries on the internet in the area i am going to, i put my daughter on the waiting list of about 4 or 5 and that was six months ago (they just email you a form to fill out about your child), luckily the one that i liked the look of the most (only have the site, governement accreditations, pics, mission statement to go on!) emailed me in Dec to say they would have a vacancy coming up in Jan, thankfully for me they have kindly held her place open till we arrive in Feb, which is really good as i start work a week after i arrive! So we will go 'stay and play' for a few sessions in our first week. I have only had one other nursery get in touch to offer a vacancy.

Im sure there are other places that arent advertised on the internet, aswell as alot of family care places, but like you my daughter is used to a nursery environment so really wanted her to go there.

I would advise to put your childrens names down on as many waiting lists as possible, especially if you have an idea about when you maybe arriving, that way you can have a look when you get there and have a wide choice.

You would think only 2 weeks left i would be doing something....anything to avoid the packing!!!

Hi Jenki

We arrived in Melbourne at the beginninng of November with our 2 yr old daughter and we managed to find her a place at an ABC nursery in St Kilda within 2 days of starting our search. We may have got incredibly lucky as we had also heard that finding places was difficult but understand that a little boy had left the previous day to move to the US with his parents . After a slightly tentative start (she had been used to a chilminder in the UK) she now absolutely loves it, has made lots of friends and quite literally drags you in with her in anticipation when shes dropped off in the morning. She is in full time gets dropped off at around 8am and picked up around 5pm (although could be there till 6pm if required) and we pay AUD$372/wk (at current exchange rate equates to approx(£165). We have been very happy with care and professionalism shown so far. Hope this gives you a few pointers.

Thanks HPRYCE and SUZY, I can't tell you how helpful you've both been.

Suzy - will check out the sites you sent me!

HPRYCE - I think you WERE very lucky to have a place so quickly. I'm not sure I'll be as lucky, especially as I want 2 places at once!

I'm glad to hear the costs are similar to the UK.

I'll email some places and see how it goes. Thanks for all your help.

I may well ask for more, especailly hpryce (seeing as you're already in Melbourne!).

Thanks again, isn't PIO amazing?!?!??!

Jenki

More than happy to answer (or try to answer) any other questions etc on whatever subject you may have. This site has been amazingly useful for us so only seems right to give a little back!! Any ideas of where you are likely to be living when you arrive. We are in the Bayside area (East Brighton) it was recommended to us as aa good family area when we arrived and so far has proved to be ideal.

Hugo

Archived