FLIGHTS BOOKED.. Some useful info

kimsdu

We booked our flights last night ONE WAY to Perth Nov 29th with Malaysia... Cheapest flights at £599 each but no extra baggage! However we had NO choice as its the only airline that except surfboards at no extra charge!!!!

Singapore flight cost £699 plus they wanted £240 per board !!!!! Thieving buggers!! We would have got extra luggage though!

QUANTAS BA = DO NOT EXCEPT BOARDS AT ALL

EMIRATES- Yes to boards free of charge plus extra luggage allowance but cheapest flight £799 and having flown Emirates before and hate hate hate Dubai airport choose to pass on that!!!! (Its the bum hoses in the toilets and poo water on the floor) Also £8.00 for a cup of coffee is a rip off!! Also had a horrid flight with them, TVs broken, food minging and my OH had to break up an inflight fight as the hostesses watched and did nothing!!!!

So Malaysia it is cheap as chips but with only 20kgs each for luggage!! Going to be a struggle but we are hiring a camper for 3 weeks to roam around in and see where we want to settle then we will have a few weeks whilst our shipping boxes arrive. Im sure we can manage and it will be an adventure...

Just thought any fellow surfers may find this useful .

Sounds fab! We have been looking at Malaysia too as my OH hates Dubia airport for the same reasons plus a few more! Just waiting for that visa to be granted........(!) and we hope to be out there next year. My son's GCSE's are controlling when we can/can't go at the moment! Will be in Jurien Bay with the rellies for a few weeks - so looking forward to it.

Good luck and let us all know how you get on.

R

:-))

We booked our flights last night ONE WAY to Perth Nov 29th with Malaysia... Cheapest flights at £599 each but no extra baggage! However we had NO choice as its the only airline that except surfboards at no extra charge!!!!

Singapore flight cost £699 plus they wanted £240 per board !!!!! Thieving buggers!! We would have got extra luggage though!

EMIRATES- Yes to boards free of charge plus extra luggage allowance but cheapest flight £799 and having flown Emirates before and hate hate hate Dubai airport choose to pass on that!!!! (Its the bum hoses in the toilets and poo water on the floor) Also £8.00 for a cup of coffee is a rip off!! Also had a horrid flight with them, TVs broken, food minging and my OH had to break up an inflight fight as the hostesses watched and did nothing!!!!

So Malaysia it is cheap as chips but with only 20kgs each for luggage!! Going to be a struggle but we are hiring a camper for 3 weeks to roam around in and see where we want to settle then we will have a few weeks whilst our shipping boxes arrive. Im sure we can manage and it will be an adventure...

Just thought any fellow surfers may find this useful .

Check out Surfer's Point in Margaret River. Friends have just come back from a holiday there and said the waves were 'to die for'.

We are shipping about 10 big boxes with Sevenseas we may send a few by air like essentials its still cheaper than paying excess baggage!! By boat is takes up to 82 days for the boxes but i have 2 sets of friends who got theres after 42 days by boat... By air just a week or so ...

I will be doing a reccie report as i will have my laptop in my hand luggage..

Sounds fab! We have been looking at Malaysia too as my OH hates Dubia airport for the same reasons plus a few more! Just waiting for that visa to be granted........(!) and we hope to be out there next year. My son's GCSE's are controlling when we can/can't go at the moment! Will be in Jurien Bay with the rellies for a few weeks - so looking forward to it.

Good luck and let us all know how you get on.

R

:-))

Yes i can sit here for an hour listing all negatives about Dubai airport i really hate it and have vowed never to go back if i can help it... We are stopping in Kuala Lumpur its only a 2 hr stopover so even if its not the greatest airport we are not there long....

Guest littlesarah

We've travelled with BA & Qantas and on all occasions were able to check in surfboards as a baggage item at no extra charge. The only time either of those airlines charge extra is if the surfboard is to be carried in addition to the standard checked baggage allowance. The only stipulation is that you don't exceed the maximum dimensions, which even a large shortboard wouldn't.

In our experience, the vast majority of airlines accept surfboards, but these days most won't take one in addition to the baggage included with one's flight. We both travel pretty light, so OH usually just chucks some of his stuff in his board bag and we take one bag between us.

I don't know where you got your information, but the websites show no change in policy of BA or Qantas.

We've travelled with BA & Qantas and on all occasions were able to check in surfboards as a baggage item at no extra charge. The only time either of those airlines charge extra is if the surfboard is to be carried in addition to the standard checked baggage allowance. The only stipulation is that you don't exceed the maximum dimensions, which even a large shortboard wouldn't.

In our experience, the vast majority of airlines accept surfboards, but these days most won't take one in addition to the baggage included with one's flight. We both travel pretty light, so OH usually just chucks some of his stuff in his board bag and we take one bag between us.

I don't know where you got your information, but the websites show no change in policy of BA or Qantas.

Yes i worked with Flight centre up until recently and a surf travel company so we have always sent customers with any airlines other than BA as we know that BA have a surfboard ban,

BA have lifted the surfboard ban in the last 6 months or so(They banned all boards with no exceptions for 2yrs) however they have a limit of 6ft 3 on the board dimensions now... We are taking boards of that size but i also have a 7ft 2 mini mal which will not be allowed. Our boardbag is a triple bag up to 7ft 2 so with only the 6 footers in there they still would not take the bag. I did call them to double check aswell plus its the size of the board bag not the boards.

surfing_iconV2.gif

We will accept surfboards as long as they do not exceed the maximum dimensions and weight restrictions*. Surfboards will only be accepted if packed appropriately in a recognised bag or case to safeguard against damage.

*Maximum size: 190cm x 75cm x 65cm (75 x 29.5 x 25.5 inches).

Maximum weight: 23kg (51lb). Bags between 23-32kg (51-70lb) will be accepted, but a heavy bag charge may apply. Please note the maximum size applies to the surfboard bag, and not the surfboard.

Guest littlesarah

And yet, the last time we flew with BA in 2010 OH took a surfboard (shortboard). I guess BA must've introduce their policy after that and then rescinded it recently.

Qantas definitely accept boards up to 109", long as they're not overweight.

Not that any of it troubles me, my toys (instruments) travel with me on board!

And yet, the last time we flew with BA in 2010 OH took a surfboard (shortboard). I guess BA must've introduce their policy after that and then rescinded it recently.

Qantas definitely accept boards up to 109", long as they're not overweight.

Not that any of it troubles me, my toys (instruments) travel with me on board!

According to google the surfboard ban ran from 2007 -to early 2010 so it was lifted due to a huge backlash and numerous petitions. But i still dont know many surfers that ride a board less than 6ft 2 unless a small child so its still very restrictive.

Guest littlesarah

Actually a lot of surfers are riding shorter boards, depending on the waves, of course. The Certainly, OH and his mates surf boards 5'9 - 6' They might behave like kids, but they are, in fact, grown men!! He had to ship his mal and some of his boards because there were too many to check them in. He ended up selling most of them, not suitable for the surf around here!

That's been one of the changes in the last few years that I've noticed - the quiver in the garage is getting shorter, wider and thicker!!

Forgot to say, I wish you all the best with your move. I remember how excited I was when I booked the flights and checked the 'one way' box!

Yes we are selling 6 boards and taking 3 with us and shipping 3 !!!!! OH has a different board for every bloody wave!! Of course he does have boards under 6ft but tbh he rarely gets to ride those in the UK he often takes a fish or my mini mal !! LOL he cant wait to get to margs and ride the 5ft 9 on the bigger waves..

Thanks for the well wishes cannot wait !!!! Where are you then??

Yes we are selling 6 boards and taking 3 with us and shipping 3 !!!!! OH has a different board for every bloody wave!! Of course he does have boards under 6ft but tbh he rarely gets to ride those in the UK he often takes a fish or my mini mal !! LOL he cant wait to get to margs and ride the 5ft 9 on the bigger waves..

Thanks for the well wishes cannot wait !!!! Where are you then??

The grey suits Dow there Are waiting patiently

Guest littlesarah
Where are you then??

NSW - a little way North of Sydney.

OH has now started a massive board collection - I should've seen it coming when the first thing he did to our house was build a board rack!! Not that I mind - it's great to see him happy to be back home and surfing most days; and I work pretty long hours so it works out pretty well really. Though I'm hoping that eventually I'll get to spend a bit more time at the beach myself (not that I surf - not built for water, me)!

Hi I didnt realise you could air freight stuff. thats really good to know!! what was the price if you dont mind me asking!!

good luck! and Im glad youve mentioned that about Dubai Airport.....yeuch!! defo one to be avoided!!

Hi Donna you can get an instant quote from Sevenseas website for air freight or by boat. Most of our stuff is going by boat but a few bits by air too.

http://www.sevenseasworldwide.com/

Guest SunnySixpence

Check here

http://www.surfresortfinder.com/features/airline-surfboard-fees-and-charges/

for surfboard information. Just check malaysia again.

Malaysian Boardbags up to a max length 9’6″ will be accepted, and each kg is charged at 1-1.5% of the ticket price.

Archived