Help! Parents Visa

Maz

We are hoping to move to Oz later this year. My parents are both retired and want to come too. I thought they could get a temporary visa and come with us around the same time, then once they are there, they could apply for permanent visa. I have read that the parent visa (subclass 103) takes about 10 years, looked at the contributory aged parent visa (864) or contributory parent (143), which cost around £14,000. Does anyone know if these are the best visas for them to get and how long would it take to come through, or is there a better way. Any advice would be great, i'm dreading telling them its not as easy as they think :cry:

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Maz

If your parents can afford it, a subclass 405 Investor Retirement visa would enable them to move to Oz when you go (assuming that the Investor Retirement visa came through in time - I think they take about 6 months to process but it would take a couple of months at least to get ready to apply, I should think. They could then apply for a Contributory Aged Parent visa from within Australia if one of them can meet the Age requirement for that and the IR visa would hold the fort till the CAP visa comes through.

Please see these links:

Investor Retirement (Subclass 405)

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/1248i.pdf

At the minute, it is impossible to say how long it would take for a Contributory Parent Visa application to be processed and - as you have realised - they would not be eligble to apply for it anyway.

If you search through Poms in Oz using the keywords contributory parent you will discover as much as anyone knows about the current queuing arrangements for applications.

If your Parents cannot afford an Investor Retirement visa, they would at least be able to make fairly lengthy visits to you in Oz but they would not be able to use repeated long stay tourist visas as a means of "moving" to Oz. Please see here:

Tourist Visa (Subclass 676)

British visitors to Australia do not require private medical insurance regardless of their age because they are automatically covered by the Reciprocal Health Care Agreement between the UK and Oz, which means that they can get Medicare for any *necessary* medical treatment in Oz.

If one of them is 70 or over, they would need to get their own GP to complete a tourist medical certificate, which is here:

dima_health - Australian High Commission

However, they would be expected to leave Australia between visits and I think DIAC would be likely to baulk if your parents did not allow a reasonable period outside Australia before trying to go back there, so they definitely shouldn't sell up in the UK unless an Investor Retirement visa would be possible for them instead.

Please shout if I can help any further with this.

Cheers

Gill

Thanks Gollywobbler

Unfortunately they don't have the £750,000 required for the investor retirement visa (405). Do you know if they would they be able to get tourist visa (676) for maximum length of stay, possibly repeating this a few times if need be by leaving country and coming back again until the contributory pernet visa (143) came through?

Maz

Archived