Kids Passport...

Morana

In the Skilled Migration points booklet (for an 189 visa) it is recommended that a passport is valid for an adequate period (at least 2 years) from when the visa is granted.

My son's passport will expire in July 14 so it has less than 2 years left on it, however on the passport website is says you can only apply for a renewal upto 9 months before it is due to expire. Were hoping to get a visa granted early next year. Has anyone had experience of this or can offer any advice?

Would you:

1. Proceed with the current passport and just inform the CO once assigned?

2. Pretend the passport is lost and apply for a new one (which would be issued with a 5 year valaidity)

Thanks

Just leave it for now. If it is getting too close to expiry before the visa grant then renew and let DIAC know. Our CO asked us to renew some passports before grant for this reason. But some COs have granted visas to people with less than 6 months on passport so not really a big issue.

Hi Morana,

Go with option 1.

We had our visas granted in August 2012 (application submitted in May 2012) and my 7 year old's passport was due to expire Feb 2013. We waited for the grant then got him a new passport and just filled in the amendment form (929 if I recall) and sent it to immigtartion in London along with a colour copy of the old passport and a colour copy of the new passport. After a couple of weeks I called immigration in London and the new passport number had been added to the visa grant.

Saying that, we were obviously within the 9 month period, if you go to Oz before you get in the 9 month period you'll have to renew from over there.

Spenner

Archived