claiming partner skills points - help!!

dani5

Wondering if anyone can clarify for me:My partner has a positive skills assessment for solid plastering from TRA.. our agent had previously told us that he was not required to do an IELTS for us to claim the extra 5 points on our 189 visa - however, they are now telling us that he does (great when we only have until the 30th november to submit our application!)we were told that as he has a british passport, completed all his primary and secondary education in english and his 2 years trade certificate and apprenticeship was taught in english he does not need to sit an IELTS..just checked the DIAC website and it says we need to evidence that he has competent english.. but i can't find any further info.. any help much appreciated!! thank you..

Hi Dani, Congrats on getting through TRA - Well Done.

If you hold a British passport you are automatically awarded 6.5 points in the IELTS table so to speak. This means that DIAC consider you to have competent English. I am sure a certified copy of his passport would suffice. Good Luck.

Hi Dani, Congrats on getting through TRA - Well Done.

If you hold a British passport you are automatically awarded 6.5 points in the IELTS table so to speak. This means that DIAC consider you to have competent English. I am sure a certified copy of his passport would suffice. Good Luck.

Thank you - you have made my day!! - .... seriously fed up with our agent!!

Hon, I have just checked Booklet 6. If you have "competent English" then no points are awarded. If you are short of 5 points then your agent might be right and you will need to the IELTS. This is the except:

points for

English language ability

[TABLE=width: 604]

[TR]

[TD=width: 33%]

English language ability

[/TD]

Standard

[/TD]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

Superior English

You have fully operational command of English and handle complex detailed argumentation well.

[/TD]

IELTS score of at least 8 on

each of the 4 components of the test— speaking, reading, writing and listening, or equivalent standard in a specified test

[/TD]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

Proficient English

You have an operational command of English with the ability to use and understand complex language well and comprehend detailed reasoning.

Note

: For all Skilled Migration Points Based visas the threshold English language requirement will be Competent English, which is a minimum score of 6 in each of the 4 components of the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) test or other language test as specified by the minister. No points will be awarded for Competent English.

[TABLE=width: 604]

[TR]

[TD]

Evidence to support your application

You need to ensure you are able to provide evidence of the level of your English language ability attained at time of invitation. IELTS has an academic test and a general training test. Unless you are required to do otherwise by your assessing authority you only need to take the

general training test.

You will need to provide your IELTS test result as evidence of your English language ability. You only need to provide the Test Report Form (TRF) Number that is on your IELTS certificate.

Test results must be no more than 3 years old at the time you apply.

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

IELTS score of at least 7 on

each of the 4 components of the test— speaking, reading, writing and listening, or equivalent standard in a specified test.

[/TD]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

it seems DIAC need to clarify this.. it is so confusing!

I have a positive skills assessment and have claimed the 20 points for IELTS and my partner has a positive skills assessment and an english passport, i just hope that will be enough..

thank you for your help :smile:

Archived