Long haul with 2 little ones?

Guest Sara

Guest gary12

We took our boys 4 and 19mths earlier this year. My youngest is a nightmare and doesn't sit still for a nano second. I took all the toys, food, sticker books even portable dvd players for them to have on the plane and you know after 5 flights they came back unopened. They were darlings, on every single flight someone commented on how good they were (v. proud mummy).

We got a 6pm flight from LHR to Singapore. After the initial excitement and their dinner they settled down and had a sleep, then we had a transit hotel at Singapore for 8 hrs where my OH and I took turns to sleep whilst the other took the boys to the playground (thanks for that advice Cal) then after a freshen up and a meal we got on the plane to Melbourne. They fell asleep on take off and we had to wake them up to get off the plane.

We did a similar thing on our return but had to let them sleep at Singapore. We just walked up and down with them and wore them out.

With regards Jet lag I think it took about 4 days outbound then amazingly on our return they went to bed at 10pm and slept through til 7am. The following night the youngest woke once but went back off so there was no jet lag at all.

One thing we did use at the airport and I tell everyone to take who has kids is an inflatable beach ball that they can kick about in departures. They don't bounce as such, they don't hurt if they hit someone and it is really hard to kick them too far. Also, you just deflate it and pop in your bag until you need it again.

I had nightmares about the flights, hopefully you will be surprised and have an easy time. Failing that hit the bar!

Michelle

Guest nomad

Great tips

Will some of this work on Adults :spinny:, as the wife can't sit still for 5mins. I am dreading 25hours :biglaugh:

Archived