License and Rego issues NSW

Paul B

I have just bought a Landcruiser and trying to transfer the rego to my name.

On RTA website its says i have to register for myRTA which is no worries except that it is asking for my Drivers License number and i am still on a UK license.

When i recently tried to get my Oz license, RTA told me i have to be here for an uninterupted 6 month period before i can get one as i am on a 457 Business visa, i did explain about thinking i need one within 3 months of arrival but they said that is wrong.

So the question is, can i transfer the Rego to my name without an Oz drivers license? i will go to RTA office on monday morning to find out more.

I have just bought a Landcruiser and trying to transfer the rego to my name.

On RTA website its says i have to register for myRTA which is no worries except that it is asking for my Drivers License number and i am still on a UK license.

When i recently tried to get my Oz license, RTA told me i have to be here for an uninterupted 6 month period before i can get one as i am on a 457 Business visa, i did explain about thinking i need one within 3 months of arrival but they said that is wrong.

So the question is, can i transfer the Rego to my name without an Oz drivers license? i will go to RTA office on monday morning to find out more.

I would be interested in the answer to this too PaulB.

Guest sidster

Yes you can register car on UK licence take 100 points of ID with you ,very straightforward ,and that is correct about being here continuous 6 mths to get oz licence you can stay on your UK licence for the length of your 457 but should you get Pr then you have to get oz licence within 3 months

Cheers people, i do realise about the stamp duty and have the documents for the "cheap" price.

I have a pack i have that i take to all things like this which has all the stuff like passport, evidence of address, banking, visa, birth cert, tennancy agreement, employment contract, etc, way over the top but it always makes them take a step back when you get out a ton of info and lay it on the desk.

I only swapped my license over when we became PR, so I was on my UK license for a bit over three years on a 457. When we first arrived we went in to the RTA and they gave me a Customer Number, which basically gave a reference number which was linked to my UK license and Australian address. I am sure that that is the number that I used on the forms when I bought my car. You will need to take the usual things (passport, evidence of visa, driving license, evidence of address etc) with you, but if I remember correctly it was a fairly simple process.

The reason why I kept with my UK license, is that on a temp visa you have to renew, and therefore pay for a new license every year.

Archived