Baggage allowance?...surely not?!!

gra001

I'm planning a 2 month stay in Oz and decided on either BA or Singapore airlines. Looking at excess baggage charges I have come to the following conclusion, have I got this right?

BA, Economy, Extra bag (same weight as allowed baggage/23kg) £32.00

Singapore Airlines, Economy, USD 40/KG. So, an extra 20kg bag is circa £500

Surely, I've done something wrong here?

Nope, that's exactly right

Bizarre, isn't it?

SA and some other airlines are OK for "migrant" fares (one-way flights booked with an unused PR visa) but for your sort of trip, BA excess baggage charges are the cheapest by miles

Be careful that the entire trip is with BA - not a codeshare - as there is small print that says it's specifically for BA flights only

Qantas offer a similar deal to BA iirc. Check them out also.

BA and Qantas codeshare these days and very few second leg flights are with BA, or at least they didn't used to be. Its usually BA first leg, Qantas second leg. I'd contact BA direct and enquire about the excess you pay for if you have to change to a Qantas flight and they transfer your baggage on for you.

ETA - And contact or read the small print for Qantas excess. If you can find a Qantas flight all the way through and they offer the set fee for a 23kg extra bag it might be worth going with them.

Thanks guys, that's Singapore off the list!! I wanted to stay clear of Quantas as when I used them earlier this year I swore..."never again"!! However, as they share with BA and BA are "cheapest by miles" then perhaps I should reconsider but, as previously mentioned I could go with a flight that's BA all the way. Any other recommendations very welcome.

Qantas are breaking up the BA codeshare and going with Emirates from March 2013, so trips will be via Dubai on a superior service.

I liked the BA/Qantas codeshare and the route. Won't be flying Qantas if its a codeshare with Emirates. I guess Singapore airlines will be the only option for us unless BA codeshare that route via Singapore with another airline.

Yeah, the new Dubai terminal is very busy and not relaxing, I've missed a connection there before and spent a layover stuck in security queues.

The advantage is they'll probably use Emirates flights and you'll get an A380 straight through to Dubai, then a 7.30hr flight direct to a regional UK airport which can make trips home a lot quicker if you don't live around London.

Do you really need more than the standard allowance? I'm moving with my 4yr old and we'll only have 40kgs between us.

Depends. Some people want to take extra stuff to tide them over till container/shipping arrives.

Personally we'd like to take extra clothes etc so wouldn't mind paying for an extra bag with BA or Qantas but I'd not fly Emirates for an extra 7kg. Singapore only offer 20kg so 3 kg less than BA/Qantas

Guest Trueblue22
Depends. Some people want to take extra stuff to tide them over till container/shipping arrives.

Personally we'd like to take extra clothes etc so wouldn't mind paying for an extra bag with BA or Qantas but I'd not fly Emirates for an extra 7kg. Singapore only offer 20kg so 3 kg less than BA/Qantas

I thought the OP was only going for 2 months?

I liked the BA/Qantas codeshare and the route. Won't be flying Qantas if its a codeshare with Emirates. I guess Singapore airlines will be the only option for us unless BA codeshare that route via Singapore with another airline.

Out of interest, why wont you fly with emirates - I'm a frequent flyer with both and would always use Emirates over Qantas.

NWM

Archived