Working restrictions- help/advice needed

jimbobandrachel

Hi to all PIO's

My girlfriend and I are off to Melbourne in June on a student visa. We know that I can work 20 hours per week during term time, and full time in school hols/work experience period, and that Rachel can only work 20 hours per week or the duration of my course (2 years).

As Rachel is still 30 years old til 13th April, does anybody know if Rachel can apply for a 1 year working holiday visa at the same time.

We were just wondering if there was any way around the 20 hours per week rule.

Any advice/comments gratefully received.

Cheers

Jim

Guest Laura G

Hi Jim,

You have to be under 31 to apply for a Working Holiday Visa, it is only a 1 year Visa, to apply for another Working Holiday Visa, she would have to go off and do 3 months fruit picking during year1 to be eligble to apply for another Working Holiday Visa. Also there are restictions as to how long you can work for 1 employer.

You can only hold 1 Visa at a time, so if she applies for a Working Holiday Visa, her Student Visa would be cancelled and you would have to reapply and pay another $430.00 application fee to add her to your Student Visa at a later date.

Another thing to consider is that you both need to be on the same Visa when you apply for Perm residency.

Laura

Hi Jim,

You have to be under 31 to apply for a Working Holiday Visa, it is only a 1 year Visa, to apply for another Working Holiday Visa, she would have to go off and do 3 months fruit picking during year1 to be eligble to apply for another Working Holiday Visa. Also there are restictions as to how long you can work for 1 employer.

You can only hold 1 Visa at a time, so if she applies for a Working Holiday Visa, her Student Visa would be cancelled and you would have to reapply and pay another $430.00 application fee to add her to your Student Visa at a later date.

Another thing to consider is that you both need to be on the same Visa when you apply for Perm residency.

Laura

Hi Laura,

Our migration agent has just confirmed what you said, that it probably wouldn't benefit us. We'll just have to hope that Rachel gets sponsored full time as she's very good at her job and she can earn the dollars while I study!

Cheers

Jim

Archived