Working Holiday Visa - What Happens If I Find a Sponsor?

Guest ElmoPeeps

Guest ElmoPeeps

Hi everyone!

My partner and I are applying for working holiday visas (subclass 417), to start in March (ish). We do want to move to Australia permanantely, and are hoping to do a bit of travelling around the country, find jobs and get sponsors (easier said than done, I know!). I was just wondering if anyone can answer me this though - the visa we are applying for means we can work for one company for a maximum 6 months, but if we get a sponsor in that time, what happens then? Would we still have to move on? Is there a better way, in your opinion, for us to go about this?

Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks!

We are: female, 23, Arts graduate with experience in broadcast tv production, admin, social media, sales and retail

and: male, 24, Business graduate with experience in marketing, export within the beer industry, his brother is currently a permanent resident in Melbourne (3 years), with application for citizenship underway

We've been living together for three years, and are confident we will be classed as defacto.

You'd be better off dumping the boyfreind and going off with the brother, you would be sure to get PR then.

What a stupid thing to say!!

Hi Elmo

It is possible, people have done it - not loads, but some. To be sponsored you generally need to be filling a position that the employer can't find an Australian with the skills they are after to do. There is a list, CSOL, which you will be able to find on the skills select immi site - look under 457 visa. You need to have a skill on there to qualify for employer sponsorship. There is a little bit more to the process, but this is a basic starting point.

Here you go, you should be able to locate and look through the consolidated sponsored occupation list via this link:

http://www.immi.gov.au/skills/skillselect/index/visas/subclass-457/

Edited by Tickled Pink