2nd Year WHV Possible?

Cruz

Hi guys,

I flew out to Sydney last year at the beginning of December on a WHV. However, due to a family crisis I had to return home earlier this year in May.

I was thinking about trying to head back to Oz to do farmwork etc to gain my 2nd year whv. However, from what I understand, I wouldnt be able to do this as I don't have enough months lefts on my WHV to complete the 3months farm work?? (It runs out on 02/12/2012). For instance if I flew out in October, and worked on a farm form 3 months, that would take in into January, at which point my WHV would have expired?

Can anyone confirm that this is the case? If so could anyone give me any other info/advice on how to get back out there. Some have suggested a 3 month tourist visa, but you can't work during this period can you?

Aside from that, applying for a job in Oz from the UK? Again something I'm not too familiar with how this would work? I'm guessing its not an easy task??

Thanks

You would need to complete the 3 months work before your visa expired. So unfortuntely you do not have enough time to fulful the requirement. The only way you would be able to stay longer is to find an employer to sponsor you on a 457 visa however I am not sure what your job is and if getting a sponsor is possible or not.

You can't work on a tourist visa (I'm talking about the 3 months ETA one), and as Bell says above, it looks like you have run out of time on your WHV to get three months in to qualify for the second year.

To qualify for a 457 visa you need to have a job that is on the CSOL list. I am not a migration expert, but as I understand it unless you have a job on there you cannot apply for a 457. Although I expect there are exceptional cases under some circumstances/occupations.

Edited by Tickled Pink

You would need to complete the 3 months work before your visa expired. So unfortuntely you do not have enough time to fulful the requirement. The only way you would be able to stay longer is to find an employer to sponsor you on a 457 visa however I am not sure what your job is and if getting a sponsor is possible or not.

Thanks for the quick reply Bell.

Gutted. Thanks for confirming this for me.

Im a media graduate however, I've been working in the youth sector for the past 5 years.

How does employment work in regards to the 457 visa?

This is what it states on the immi web page regarding the 457 visa:

Requirements

You can apply for this visa if you:

• are sponsored by an employer to fill a nominated skilled position
  • have skills, qualifications, experience and an employment background that match those required for the position
  • have demonstrated your English language ability
  • are eligible for any relevant licences or registration required for the nominated position
  • have health insurance.

Here's a bit more info, also off the sills select site:

The list of eligible occupations is available on the Consolidated Sponsored Occupations List. This list includes a number (an ANZSCO Code) and an Occupation Title.

A description of the qualifications and experience required for each of the eligible occupations is on the website of the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS)

1220.0 - ANZSCO - Australian and New Zealand Standard Classification of Occupations, First Edition, Revision 1.

This opens a search page to help you find an occupation. It will help you identify the tasks your nominee would be expected to perform in the position you are nominating them for qualifications and amount of work experience they would be required to have.

For example a Chef (ANZSCO code 351311) will have either a relevant associate degree, advanced diploma, or diploma (or equivalent) or at least three years relevant experience. Tasks may include planning menus, preparing and cooking food and possible selection and training of staff.

Sponsors who want to employ subclass 457 visa holders in an occupation which is not on the Consolidated Sponsored Occupations List must do so under a labour agreement.

But you can look up all the finer points here:

http://www.immi.gov.au/skills/skillselect/index/visas/subclass-457/

[h=3][/h]

Its not just about being willing or not I'm afraid, I believe if the salary is under 50k mark then they would be ineligable to sponsor as there are minimum threshholds. There are also other requirements for the employer, surrounding training provision to Australian's etc. Other people may come on here and add to this who know more about this than I.