Short & Long Term Rentals in Perth - how easy is it??

aliandshane

Hi everyone,

Just moved over to this forum after being granted a visa in August. We are due to migrate in July 2013, and can't wait! We are spending most nights researching areas / jobs / properties etc. Can anyone give us any advice on the rental situation? We will be looking in and around the Duncraig area. We are hoping to get a short term rent maybe for 6 weeks whilst we secure a longer term option. So a few questions if anyone can help?

1) Can you secure a long term rent from the UK (i.e. through realestate.com without viewing the property) - obviously massively risking but just wondering if it is achievable?

2) Do you think a 6 week short term rent is long enough to secure a long term rent - we've seen some web sites saying it's really hard to get a long term rent so really worried we might not be giving ourselves long enough with 6 weeks?

3) What "evidence" do you need when going for the long term rent? We may not secure employment before we go so will UK references from previous employers and bank statements be enough?

Any help at all would be really really appreciated.

Many many thanks,

Ali

Hi,

From what I know you will only be able to secure a short term (holiday) rental before you arrive, then you need 100 points on the ID front to be able to secure a long term rental.

A bank account passport and drivers licence along with some utility bills will do the trick for the ID.

We are traveling at the end of December and we have got a holiday/short term rental for 1 month and hopefully in that time we will have got a 6 to 12 month rental, if not we will get another short term at a lot lower rate than the holiday season rate we have paid now.

Hi Ali and Shane

I have joined the site as have a lovely young couple and their 2 children staying with me for 2 nights before they move into a permanent rental thursday.

They moved to Perth from the UK a month ago and had a rental while they found a permanent home.

I met Stacey 2 weeks ago when she came and paid up front for her 2 night stay,I have started renting rooms in my home as a bed and breakfast since end of July,and I live in Duncraig.

I have had a young couple from the UK stay for a week while they found a permanent rental,Knowing Perth and the suburbs and where and where not to live and proximity to freeways work etc I am able and very willing to help out,and can babysit if parents would like to go out in the evenings.

I have a large home and in a quiet cul de sac 2 minutes walk from carine glades shopping centre bus,warwick train station.

If you would like to email pm me I can give you access to photos of my home and more information.

Look forward to your reply

Shelli :)

Hi Shelli,

Thanks for your reply, that's really helpful. I will definitely keep your contact details and be in touch nearer the time of our arrival if that's okay.

Thanks for the other reply too! Any advice greatly appreciated!

Ali

We're in Perth and going through this process,it's really hard. We went to a house viewing today and there was about 25-30 other people also applying. You can't get one from the uk as they state you have to go to the open house which isnt great as they all over lap with a lot of people. I've got an application in front of me and ID required is - two types of ID,reference from employer confirming employment,100 points check list: things like rent receipts,drivers licence,passport,birth certificate,health care card,utility bills,pay slips,tenancy history ledger,bank statements and References.

I'm returning to the UK for my bros wedding so I'm not starting work in oz until jan 2013,I explained to the estate agent and she said it was fine just explain that. I also forgot a lot of my ID but they will except scanned copies so that's my mums job in the uk.

The further away from main places is cheaper and might be easier to get somewhere. We've managed to get a very over priced holiday rental again for next week with the hope we find somewhere so 6 weeks such be okay. You just need to make sure when you arrive you get straight to open houses.

Hope this helps x

We arrived 5 weeks ago and have just moved into our 12 month rental. We organised a holiday let for 4 weeks in Joondalup and had only 6 days left before getting this house. The viewing was really tough if you want somewhere like Duncraig at a reasonable price everyone else wants it too! we viewed a few with over 50 at each viewing.

A number of real estates ask you to put a weeks rent in with your application so be prepared for that, or if you have enough time only go for one house at a time. We ended up with over $1000 sitting in different offices as we were getting desperate.

We only had to provide ID, bank statement, visa and confirmation of employment along with a letter saying how good tennats we would be.

If you are prepared to considered other just as nice areas and visit loads you'll get something, my best advice is to make the agent remember you:wink:

We did'nt get Duncraig as it was to stressful going for the viewings!

Archived