Bit of help/advice needed- 485 and 885 application

Guest House

Hey everyone,

Just looking for some help regarding the visa situation I'm in- currently on a Bridging Visa A while I wait for my Skilled Graduate 485 to be processed (about a year from what I've heard) that I lodged last week.

I did an Advanced Diploma in Business Management that lasted 2 years and ended in Sept 2011. At the time I was using a Migration Agent who said to keep studying until I got sponsorship as I wasn't eligible for the 485 at the time (I actually was!!!) so I went on to do a Cert IV in Marketing just to stay in Aus and completed that in June this year.

It was only recently that I found out I was eligible for the 485 AND the 885 PR visa but both require you to have completed the 2 year study requirement of a Diploma or Adv Dip within previous 6 months before applying. Ideally I should have applied before March and all would have been good but just wondering how strict they are about these things? I mean, I did two and a half years study in Aus so if anything I'm overcompensating in this area!

I'm hoping that by the time the processing of the 485 of a year or more comes around that I'll have a backup plan in place. I moved to WA to increase the likelihood of obtaining Regional Visa or sponsorship just in case.

In short- I studied longer than necessary for the "2 year study in Aus" requirement so don't think I'm eligible for the 485 or 885 and looking for alternatives. I have a degree in Psychology that was recognized by VETASSES and this allowed me to apply for SOL of Human Resources Advisor but with no experience. I'm a native English speaker so can do IELTS and get the extra 20 points which would give me 75 points altogether for the 885 application if I get the 5 points for the 2 year study requirement.

Anybody been in a position similar to this at all?

Thanks in advance,

Alex :smile:

Wow... don't believe it. Had written a reply and was just about to send it when I received an email from Immi- visa granted! Haha still in disbelief :jiggy:

Edited by House