What suburb would suit us best

bigbadcon

Guest Guest76386

Also check out around Brookwater. Another nice area in the same district.Its just up the road from springfield lakes shopping plaza and cinemas. Petrol stations and local shops very close by. Lots of places to eat.

The areas around the golf course are nice. I do think the price jumps up abit but the houses I was building there where for mirvac homes, and they are a steaper price. Very nice homes tho.

Basically I think it all comes down to what you want out of the place you want to live. If you enjoy the water and water sports, i would recommend somewhere nice around north lakes, its close to the Bay and sunshine coast. If you want to live somewhere that is nice and has everything you need in one place I would suggest springfirld lakes.

Northlakes still has its traffic problems getting into the cbd in peak hour. Gympie road can get terrible during those hours and also the gateway arterial road can have problems early morning.

Redcliffe does have some nice spots, but it also has areas with lots of housing commision ( goverment housing) and higher unemployment rate. Much like Wynnum on the southside. Both are nice places tho. I worked with people from redcliffe and they were alwyas late to work because of traffic problems from that side of down.

Good luck with your decision, I know its never easy. Gold coast is my Favourite place. Nothing beats my apartment and waking up everyday looking at the ocean. :)

Hmmm im not liking the reports on a lack of broadband in the area cause I definitely will need good broadband cause Ill be working from home.

Besides that you have me sold on the place :biggrin:

The NBN roll out is not far away

http://www.nbn.gov.au/

http://nbnco.com.au/rollout/rollout-map.html

http://springfield-news.whereilive.com.au/news/story/highspeed-broadband-is-getting-closer-for-springfield-residents/

Howard

Edited by PontePom

Redcliff,don't even bother looking anywhere else,if you want to live where there's a bit of space ,and near the water.and a peaceful place to live.Mostly a place for retired people nothing to do.But that goes for most of Queensland, out of the city,depends realy on your life style,if your into sport going to the beach thats the life here,Other than that it's boreing,most young Aussies go into Brisbane and try and kill each other on a weekend,Big problems with anti social violent drunken behaviour..New places like north lakes is a rabbit warren,heaps of houses close together on a 800 mitre block.No shops nothing.Crime is rife everywhere.Young people have no social life at all.Unless there into sport and the beach.The north side has lots of old wooden houses very close together.We moved to the country 20 years ago,couldn't stand it in the noisey over crowded suburbs.Then you have crime in rural area's and alot of people that resent others moveing to their patch, lucky we now have good nieghbours, but have had problems in the past,there's bad neighbour problems all over the place,seems to be a Aussie thing,along with No water,no sewerage,the internet is pathetic,and TV receptionis poor,cost of liveing very high,people can't afford a denist,can't afford to have tradesmen to do repairs ect.

http://www.myschool.edu.au/

http://www.myschool.com.au/

http://bettereducation.com.au/SchoolRanking.aspx

All of these will give you an idea of the socioeconomic status of the areas. We decided to stick to suburbs within 10k of the CBD and only suburbs with state schools with a '95' rating or better according to http://bettereducation.com.au/school/Primary/qld/brisbane_top_government_primary_schools.aspx and have decent secondary schools to follow into. Bought a map, circled it at our radius and checked the schools in the suburbs captured to narrow it down. Northside won out. Seems like a very narrow minded viewpoint when written down but it worked for us. No trains where we are, but the bus service is good and you need a car anyway for trips out. 20 - 25 min to the CBD by bus. Perhaps 30 - 35 at peak times. TPG ADSL 2+ @ 17MBit so I'm doing better than I was in London. Very happy with our choice. Great schools, great facilities for us and the kids and really no bother to get into town or to major shopping, while the local shopping centre pretty much covers our usual needs anyway. Seems like we found a bit of a gem in terms of location and hoping we can buy here when the time comes. No beach but it's only half an hour to 40 min away. I work from home and yet bike and MTB trails are 500m from the door (or less). Doesn't get much better than this - for us at least!

- J

All of these will give you an idea of the socioeconomic status of the areas. We decided to stick to suburbs within 10k of the CBD and only suburbs with state schools with a '95' rating or better according to http://bettereducation.com.au/school/Primary/qld/brisbane_top_government_primary_schools.aspx and have decent secondary schools to follow into. Bought a map, circled it at our radius and checked the schools in the suburbs captured to narrow it down. Northside won out. Seems like a very narrow minded viewpoint when written down but it worked for us. No trains where we are, but the bus service is good and you need a car anyway for trips out. 20 - 25 min to the CBD by bus. Perhaps 30 - 35 at peak times. TPG ADSL 2+ @ 17MBit so I'm doing better than I was in London. Very happy with our choice. Great schools, great facilities for us and the kids and really no bother to get into town or to major shopping, while the local shopping centre pretty much covers our usual needs anyway. Seems like we found a bit of a gem in terms of location and hoping we can buy here when the time comes. No beach but it's only half an hour to 40 min away. I work from home and yet bike and MTB trails are 500m from the door (or less). Doesn't get much better than this - for us at least!

- J

You've got me playing guess the suburb now :) ...suburb initials TG maybe ?:biggrin:

- J

Hi JZombie,

You never mentioned what suburb you are in ? :biggrin:

Guest Guest76386
Redcliff,don't even bother looking anywhere else,if you want to live where there's a bit of space ,and near the water.and a peaceful place to live.Mostly a place for retired people nothing to do.But that goes for most of Queensland, out of the city,depends realy on your life style,if your into sport going to the beach thats the life here,Other than that it's boreing,most young Aussies go into Brisbane and try and kill each other on a weekend,Big problems with anti social violent drunken behaviour..New places like north lakes is a rabbit warren,heaps of houses close together on a 800 mitre block.No shops nothing.Crime is rife everywhere.Young people have no social life at all.Unless there into sport and the beach.The north side has lots of old wooden houses very close together.We moved to the country 20 years ago,couldn't stand it in the noisey over crowded suburbs.Then you have crime in rural area's and alot of people that resent others moveing to their patch, lucky we now have good nieghbours, but have had problems in the past,there's bad neighbour problems all over the place,seems to be a Aussie thing,along with No water,no sewerage,the internet is pathetic,and TV receptionis poor,cost of liveing very high,people can't afford a denist,can't afford to have tradesmen to do repairs ect.

Really ?. What a load of C**p. Not one point except the 800 mitre blocks is correct. I take it you must come from a small village in the UK originally. The problems you talk of are world wide, everywhere. Trust me Ive seen it. I go into the valley regularly in Brissie. Never had any problems. Lots of people having fun i would call it. Maybe they have had a few drinks. London is just the same, so is paris, amsterdam, prague, rome and many other cities. Just stay inside and keep being judgemant. This man was asking for constructive advice.

Guest paulwbafc

Have a look at suburbs from wynum down to redland bay. Been in thornlands 4 years. Birkdale wellington piont has Some 10000 ex pat brits british chippy, uk balti restaurant called spice avenue. Schools amongst the best. Decent shopping centres carindale not too far plus loganholme hyperdome and garden city rocklee sunday markets all half hour away. Great choice of bayside towns and ferry s from cleveland to straddie for great day out etc. Gold coast not too far and all theme parks 45 mins away. CBD 30 to 40 mins away.

Guest paulwbafc

My son is 15, plays for redlands united soccer team, coaches under 10s. Does air force caddets, has mates he sees regular and has a girlfriend too. Never once complained he has nothing to do or bored. My daughter is 10. Does dancing and girl guides goes on camping trips often sleepovers with friends plays out often enjoys local parks and plays in neighbours swimming pools. I grew up in englands second city birmingham and found it far more boring than what the teenagers can do on brisbane bayside. Its got boating fishing watersport defence cadets skater parks pretty much everything. I would love to be a teenager here.

We live in Springfield Lakes!!

We have two young chrildren aged 3 and 1. It is a purposed built village for those who are working professionals commuting to the CBD and who work in the local Army base. There are parks everywhere with free electric bbqs, there is a free waterpark which my 3 year old loves. People from all around commute to it at the weekend and even at it's busiest there is no bad language, no shouting, everyone behaves theirselves-it wouldn't last two minutes in the UK. There is no trouble in Springfield Lakes, it is safe at night and quiet. We pay $320 week rental for a three bed detached house with a small paved back yard, garage, utility room etc. I work and my husband looks after the kids at present, but he walks everywhere with them. The Orion shopping centre is brilliant and in walking distance it has every shop you need and great cafes. It is very family orientated here and there are lots of families with young chrildren. I wouldn't have chosen anywhere else to live. The bushland walk park which the waterpark is in is huge and kept very clean and tidy. Everywhere is in commuting distance-Ipswich, CBD, beaches are all 30 mins away. We are getting a train station here next year which they are actively building the lines now and it's coming along nicely. My job involves driving around the suburbs around Brisbane and I really wouldn't recommend going any further in than here. Houses are in great demand here and we had to content with at least 3 other applicants for the two properties we applied for. We stayed with relatives for two weeks until we checked everywhere out and decided where we wanted to live, why don't you rent for a week and check ot the suburbs? I think it helped with the careers both myself and my better half are in, also we had lots of references from uk employers and character references. We put down a bond of around $1400 which you will need too. There is also Springfield Lakes Anglian College which is from Kindy/Prep to college age, is private though affordable and has a good reputation. Our son goes to the Springfield Lakes Nursery which has a huge outdoor play area and is very nice, friendly, he seems to love it. All is in walking distance.

Hope that helps! But PM me if you need any more info on Springfiled Lakes!

Edited by rachaelm0

We live in Springfield Lakes!!

We have two young chrildren aged 3 and 1. It is a purposed built village for those who are working professionals commuting to the CBD and who work in the local Army base. There are parks everywhere with free electric bbqs, there is a free waterpark which my 3 year old loves. People from all around commute to it at the weekend and even at it's busiest there is no bad language, no shouting, everyone behaves theirselves-it wouldn't last two minutes in the UK. There is no trouble in Springfield Lakes, it is safe at night and quiet. We pay $320 week rental for a three bed detached house with a small paved back yard, garage, utility room etc. I work and my husband looks after the kids at present, but he walks everywhere with them. The Orion shopping centre is brilliant and in walking distance it has every shop you need and great cafes. It is very family orientated here and there are lots of families with young chrildren. I wouldn't have chosen anywhere else to live. The bushland walk park which the waterpark is in is huge and kept very clean and tidy. Everywhere is in commuting distance-Ipswich, CBD, beaches are all 30 mins away. We are getting a train station here next year which they are actively building the lines now and it's coming along nicely. My job involves driving around the suburbs around Brisbane and I really wouldn't recommend going any further in than here. Houses are in great demand here and we had to content with at least 3 other applicants for the two properties we applied for. We stayed with relatives for two weeks until we checked everywhere out and decided where we wanted to live, why don't you rent for a week and check ot the suburbs? I think it helped with the careers both myself and my better half are in, also we had lots of references from uk employers and character references. We put down a bond of around $1400 which you will need too. There is also Springfield Lakes Anglian College which is from Kindy/Prep to college age, is private though affordable and has a good reputation. Our son goes to the Springfield Lakes Nursery which has a huge outdoor play area and is very nice, friendly, he seems to love it. All is in walking distance.

Hope that helps! But PM me if you need any more info on Springfiled Lakes!

Thanks for sharing that, we are making the move early march next year and Springfield lakes is top of our list. We have 2 boys who will be just 4 and 2 1/2. The more I hear about it the more it seems to be the place for us :cute:

sandy

Thanks for sharing that, we are making the move early march next year and Springfield lakes is top of our list. We have 2 boys who will be just 4 and 2 1/2. The more I hear about it the more it seems to be the place for us :cute:

sandy

I've just finished work and just been over the road to the 'Pirate Park' which is on the lake. Our children love it and at weekends people canoe along the lake here. It's all man made/purpose built if you know what I mean, but it suits us perfectly.

I've just finished work and just been over the road to the 'Pirate Park' which is on the lake. Our children love it and at weekends people canoe along the lake here. It's all man made/purpose built if you know what I mean, but it suits us perfectly.

That sounds fab and what a lovely way to finish your working day and what lucky children. These are the things I am looking for when we make the big move and in only 5 months :-)

• 1 month later...