Local experience ?????

Georgiajoe

[h=2]WA experience[/h]

Hi,

I'm a plumber with a 176 SS visa, we are moving across to Perth early 2013.

on looking at seek for jobs to get a Heads up every job (10) are advertised with either must have 2,3 or 5 years local experience.

is this the norm???

how can migrants get there foot in the door or is this only certain companies.

i own my own plumbing business here in the uk and if I advertised stated no Polish I'd get sued

Thank you

Ian

There is always a lot of talk about local experience, there is in my profession too (desk based). Don't let it put you off, you are right, no migrant would ever get a job if you believed it and clearly we do. I found that UK experience was very highly regarded in practice despite these local experience horror stories.

There is always a lot of talk about local experience, there is in my profession too (desk based). Don't let it put you off, you are right, no migrant would ever get a job if you believed it and clearly we do. I found that UK experience was very highly regarded in practice despite these local experience horror stories.

A lot of jobs say local experience required, but they really mean relevant experience where the standards between countries inthat industry are considered comparable.

A lot of jobs say local experience required, but they really mean relevant experience where the standards between countries inthat industry are considered comparable.

So the local experience shouldn't really apply to migrants from the UK, NZ, Canada, and the USA? What do you think?

So the local experience shouldn't really apply to migrants from the UK, NZ, Canada, and the USA? What do you think?

Lesser so than perhaps people from other countries, but will not always be the case. For example if you were a Tax Accountant from UK you would need local requalification and experience if you wanted to practice as a Tax Accountant in Australia. Whereas other roles may be more directly transferable.

Archived