Medicals For The Mines

Guest Sara & Tim

Guest Sara & Tim

Hi

Just after some information on Medicals for the mines, can anyone advise what is actually checked and what they look for do they vary and why...any information would be great.

Sara

As you're Coloundra I assume you'll want it for Queensland.

We have the Coal Baord medical (also known as CBM or Section 4), I assume there's an equivilent for metalliferous mines but never had to do it so don't know what it entails.

First up, you'll do a drug and alcohol tests - wee in a cup, don't drink too much beforehand; if your pee is too weak they can't test it, if you're on any form of medication bring the package with you as it's pretty sensitive; I had a false positive for heroin after eating poppy seed cake the day before.

Then it's hearing test, blood pressure, the normal going over that you'd get at a routine medical. If you're off to an underground site you'll probably be asked to get a chest x-ray beforehand and the doc has a look at it. Sometimes you're asked to do squats and some other minor things like pick up 10kg, but I've only ever had that once and for a specific site.

Honestly, there's not much too it, and it's nearly impossible to fail. If you get something that flags up a problem such as previously undiagnosed diabetes, all they do if refer you to someone else to have a management plan put in place before they'll sign you off; for instance if you're partically deaf or wear glasses there's a section which the doc will write "requires hearing conservation methods" or "to wear glasses" and that's about it.

Metal mines have no legal requirement but most will ask for one and similar to above. My last one also had about an hour with a physio doing squats and steps and things. Though I work in exploration so a level of fitness is required. If you are working in a lead mine they require a blood test and this is repeated every couple of months.

Archived