Aussie Dream/aussie Nightmare !!

Guest MR HOPEFULL

We have had a number of knife incidents in ACT schools over the past few years and, as you say, not many get put away because of the reluctance of the judiciary and a lot never get made public for obvious reasons. There are many more "threats" than actual harm of course against teachers as well as other students. There are some ethnic groups where the kids feel undressed unless they are carrying their knives "for protection" even at school. I dont doubt that our level of such crime doesnt match the UK but we do have it and we would be naive to say that we dont. My boys were certainly quite wary when they were older teens. My eldest has since spent some time as a Met special and is very relaxed about walking around London - probably because he has had training on how to take care of himself.

I do think it has got worse in the past 10 years - probably parallelling the rise in similar crimes in other countries. It might be a familiarity thing but I am much less fearful walking around London at night than I am walking around Sydney - I probably dont fall into the high risk category though being a middle aged white woman rather than a potential "rival". Of course, the risk of being mugged is probably just about the same anywhere I go.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest alliekate

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((QUOLL)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Just sending you hugs and support.

Know where you are coming from.

allie xxxxxxxxxx

I was around many years ago when the Teddy Boys were around, there is very little difference these days to what was going on in the UK then & even in the early 60's, A few of my mates got mugged as I did, it was called getting bashed up in those days, beer and hormones don't mix & never did, we can't compare Australia to the UK when it comes to crime, the population of Oz is about the same as one major city in the UK.

Skippy!!! How dare you besmirch the glorious days of our youth by comparing them with todays degenerate, violent, foul mouthed, disrespectful louts. :twitcy:

Don't you know?, the mods, the rockers, the hard working hippies and the punks et al were all well behaved, lovely boys and girls... a credit to their parents It's an absolute disgrace to suggest that todays doddering old farts were anything less than perfect, hard working members of society. :twitcy:

I've been reading with total bemusement the national media beat up of the sixteen year old boy who had a party whilst his parents were away? Where's the news in that? Any parent who leaves a sixteen year old home alone is an idiot to believe that a party won't occurr. You'd be more worried if one didn't. The best you can hope for is that it doesn't get out of control which of course it did, as they sometimes do. :biglaugh:

That he ended up on a current affair program being badgered and hectored into giving a public apology only brought the media program into disrepute in my view??? News must be slow at the moment. :wideeyed:

[quote=Quoll;

There are some ethnic groups where the kids feel undressed unless they are carrying their knives "for protection" even at school.

I agree,those are the ones causing the majority of the problems.

We do have it and we would be naive to say that we dont.

I have to agree with you on that one too Quoll, there HAS been a definate rise in crimes relating to social behaviour etc in the last 10 years, I don't think I should expand on this or I could be in trouble. :biglaugh:

• 1 month later...
Guest auntykaren

hi there im bit confused dont know were to start im a 32 year old hairdresser with a hubby a son and a dog thinking about movin out to brisbane can anyone help me get the ball rolling dont have a clue thanks any info appreciated

hi there im bit confused dont know were to start im a 32 year old hairdresser with a hubby a son and a dog thinking about movin out to brisbane can anyone help me get the ball rolling dont have a clue thanks any info appreciated

Hi, Welcome to PIO

If I were you I would start a thread so that you get lots of info, as not everyone may read this thread now.

The only advise that I can give you is that if I were you I would call some Migration Agents as they give you some free advice and will let you know if you are eligible or not for the move to Aus.

Good luck and start that thread!

Regards

Archived