Step daughter from Oz and is now over 18

Jonleahy

Hi folks

Maybe someone can give me a bit of advice here, I hope this is in the right forum

My wife and her daughter moved to UK to live with me 8 years ago, we got married 5 years ago, I didn't adopt my stepdaughter but she has lived with us for 8 years went to school and has received her national insurance number.

She still holds an Australian passport, which is now due for renewal which has got me thinking about her visa situation. My wife and daughter originally came over on a ancestral visa and then their visa was extended in 2009 for 6 years at this stage our daughter was still under 18 but now she has turned 18 is the extension that was given in 2009 still valid for her?

Hi folks

Maybe someone can give me a bit of advice here, I hope this is in the right forum

My wife and her daughter moved to UK to live with me 8 years ago, we got married 5 years ago, I didn't adopt my stepdaughter but she has lived with us for 8 years went to school and has received her national insurance number.

She still holds an Australian passport, which is now due for renewal which has got me thinking about her visa situation. My wife and daughter originally came over on a ancestral visa and then their visa was extended in 2009 for 6 years at this stage our daughter was still under 18 but now she has turned 18 is the extension that was given in 2009 still valid for her?

Sorry mate don't know the answer exactly but if she is a dependant then it may well be. And she was granted the visa so it should be ok until it expires. Do some digging on google to see if you can find anything.

If they have been here in the UK for 8 years why don't they apply for permanent residency?

Hi folks

my daughter holds an aussie passport .....she was born there .

this has now run out ......i rang the oz embassy asking if there was a limit as to when she could renew ......and there isnt .

As she isnt returning in the short or medium term .....i will leave it

i think an adult one has a time limit ....

I'd be looking to see about applying for indefinite leave to remain (UK version of permanent residence) if its possible.

Have you read the UK immigration info?

This might be a good starting point

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas-immigration/while-in-uk/transfer-visa-to-passport/

Also might be worth consulting an immigration agent or some such (decent one, check reviews and feedback carefully) and seeing if there is anything you are missing or things to be concerned about.

Thanks guys for the advice I'll contine to look around.

I had a look at the indefinite leave to remain, it looks like it costs £991 to apply so that would mean both my step daughter and my wife would have to pay that :sad:

Yes, it costs but that is the same everywhere when applying for visas, everywhere charges. If its needed then applying and paying is the only option.

My husband had to apply for his temp visa and then his indefinate leave to remain visa. But it is worth it as it means he is here legally and we've no worries about his status here.

Yes, it costs but that is the same everywhere when applying for visas, everywhere charges. If its needed then applying and paying is the only option.

My husband had to apply for his temp visa and then his indefinate leave to remain visa. But it is worth it as it means he is here legally and we've no worries about his status here.

Yes I know it costs for everything, my wife and daughter came over to the UK legally paying for their visa and then in 2008 applied and paid for an extension of their visa because we were advised they were not here long enough (they were in the UK for 4 years) to apply for indefinite leave to remain so their visa was extended for 6 years.

Now to be asked to fork out £1800 for something that other countries grant as part of the orignal application and issue in some cases after 2 years of temporary residence seems extortionate and unnecessary.

Maybe the border and customs think that the price and bureaucracy will put people off entering the country illegally - Not a chance of that. IMO

It appears to be just another tax on those trying to do things legally to cover the costs of those who look for and often get something for nothing, because surely is not a fair charge for the service provided?

Just my rant

Jonathan

Archived