457, 820 and bridging visa advice

justinoz

Hi,

So my Australian wife and I are moving back to Sydney soon. Basically we were going to get my spouse visa offshore, however work dried up in the uk, I was offered a sponsored job in Australia so we decided to come back with me on a 457, then apply onshore for my spouse visa. The thing is that the job is only a 4-5 month contract initially (though the visa is for 4 years, incase they extend my contract). We were under the impression that this wouldn't matter as if my job contract ended, thus cancelling my 457 visa before the spouse visa grant, I would automatically go onto a bridging visa. However I've since read that the bridging visa A would also be cancelled and I would have to apply in person for a Bridging E visa. This apparently is due to there being a difference between having a 457 visa cancelled as opposed to it expiring naturally.

Could someone please clear this up for me as to what would happen in my situation? I thought the E visa was more for overstayers etc. we planned our return on the basis that I would easily go on a bridging visa while waiting for a decision as we knew that I had a potentially short contract. If I did need an E visa would it be easy to get in my case, especially given I have a clean immigration record (no overstays etc)

We have my application pretty much ready to go so could lodge the 820 within a couple of weeks of arrival, hopefully it would be granted before my contract expired anyways (we have also been married almost 3 years and lived in both Australia and the uk together)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks,

Justin

When I applied for the 820 off a 457, the bridging visa info said that BVA would kick in when the 457 "ceased to be in effect". You might want to have a quick chat with a registered migration agent to clarify exactly what that means.

Hi,

So my Australian wife and I are moving back to Sydney soon. Basically we were going to get my spouse visa offshore, however work dried up in the uk, I was offered a sponsored job in Australia so we decided to come back with me on a 457, then apply onshore for my spouse visa. The thing is that the job is only a 4-5 month contract initially (though the visa is for 4 years, incase they extend my contract). We were under the impression that this wouldn't matter as if my job contract ended, thus cancelling my 457 visa before the spouse visa grant, I would automatically go onto a bridging visa. However I've since read that the bridging visa A would also be cancelled and I would have to apply in person for a Bridging E visa. This apparently is due to there being a difference between having a 457 visa cancelled as opposed to it expiring naturally.

This is how I understand it, that a cancelled visa means no bridging visa. But definitely worthwhile checking this with a professional as I have seen this question quite a few times but never a definitive answer.

This is how I understand it, that a cancelled visa means no bridging visa. But definitely worthwhile checking this with a professional as I have seen this question quite a few times but never a definitive answer.

There is a definite answer available.

Archived