Cairns or Townsville ?

Tracynpete

We are looking at moving to either Townsville or cairns, has anyone any experience of either of these places as it wouldbe great have some views from people that have actually lived or are living there now?

What are the major differences ie weather, lifestyle, work,schools,friendliness,cost of living etc

any info greatly received.

We are a family with two older children, will need high schools, tafes and poss. Uni options.

Hope to hear from some people soon ....:biggrin:

Guest The Pom Queen

Firstly what do you do work wise? This will be the main factor when considering either place. If you have a job to go to in either place then I would opt for Cairns hands down, it is a lot more beautiful than Townsville. You have some excellent schools up here, uni wise you have James Cook and also TAFE.

Townsville is larger than Cairns and probably has more facilities although saying that we have everything we could ever want up here.

Thanks for that we are nurses and I have applied for jobs in both places, hopefully will get an interview. Just wanted to get some local knowledge beforehand

Would like to keep this thread going re-Cairns or Townsville ... Anyone else got any views would be great ... Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Guest The Pom Queen
Townsville definitely. Beaches vs mud. Progressive hospital with a growing rep for excellence and good links with JCU. Magnetic Island. The Yongala!

Obviously you don't know up here that well, let me show you some of our beaches

tqld_palm-cove.jpg

Thanks to everyone who posted, they both sound like good places for different reasons, we are still undecided, I guess that we will have to make a visit for ourselves, at least one of us will anyway.

Will let you know what's decide ...

Thanks again

Guest The Pom Queen
Thanks to everyone who posted, they both sound like good places for different reasons, we are still undecided, I guess that we will have to make a visit for ourselves, at least one of us will anyway.

Will let you know what's decide ...

Thanks again

You will find that Palm Cove, Ellis Beach, Trinity Beach etc are all suburbs of Cairns.

This is a photo of the CBD

Cairns%20Esplanade%20Nightsmall.jpg

• 2 years later...

reviving this older thread, we are in the struggle to decide where. I've got possibly a job in Townsville, but my hubby mentioned Cairns. If we go for Cairns, we'll move up both jobless and we are worried about going through the same as in ACT. How easy is to get ANY (skilless) job in Townsvillle or Cairns?

Guest The Pom Queen
reviving this older thread, we are in the struggle to decide where. I've got possibly a job in Townsville, but my hubby mentioned Cairns. If we go for Cairns, we'll move up both jobless and we are worried about going through the same as in ACT. How easy is to get ANY (skilless) job in Townsvillle or Cairns?

I've just returned your pm, without jobs I'm unsure to be honest as things seem to be dying down at the moment. Is it possible for you to apply for jobs whilst in ACT and fly up for any interviews. You can always use our PO Box for your address up here on any applications so they think you are local. Most of the jobs are in tourism or healthcare up here.

Guest The Pom Queen
thank you, I wonder how did it work out for the people starting this thread???? :-)

I think Tracy ended up in Melbourne.

Archived