meteorite shower last night

jove

Anyone catch the meteorite shower last night? Was going to bed and looked out of the window and couldn't believe it I saw 2 of the biggest shooting stars i have ever seen! Did go to bed wondering if there would be an alien invasion LOL

Apparently is some sort of annual shower that hits earth, only in the northern hemishpere though - sorry Oz LOL

:laugh:

Anything like that in Oz Bobj?

I must admit I am so used to seeing all the great northern hemisphere constellations. It really will be a strange feeling looking up to unfamiliar stars when I eventually get down under. I grew up in an area with very little light pollution so saw all the time the great bear, Pleiades, polaris etc...will be odd down under.

damn yea haha dont laugh mrs wanted to see it so set the alarm for 4am.... went off she just ignored me and I couldnt see anything went back to sleep......

she didnt wake up?

i was surprised as I had no idea about the shower. Was just lucky and looking out the window at the right time. Must of been some meteorites as i live slap bang in the city center with all the lights etc...

I must admit I am so used to seeing all the great northern hemisphere constellations. It really will be a strange feeling looking up to unfamiliar stars when I eventually get down under. I grew up in an area with very little light pollution so saw all the time the great bear, Pleiades, polaris etc...will be odd down under.

Yes, we have the same meteor showers; the Perseids, Leonids, Orionids, Geminids etc.

The showers are the actual tails of comets that the earth moves through and are visible from every part of the planet.

Far better views from the southern hemisphere; watching the Milky Way is fascinating.icon14.png

Cheers, Bobj.

Can see those from the more northerly parts of Australia. Actually, could see Cassiopeia and Andromeda, Pegasus and Hercules this morning at 5 AM.:yes:

Cheers, Bobj.

Actually, I would quite like to go out into the countryside in Australia and do a bit of sky gazing. I can imagine the light pollution away from the city being quite low and the quality of air pretty good too. Though I did read that Adelaide suffers from light pollution. Always fancied buying a decent telescope.

I guess you are too far north in Australia to see the southern lights.

Actually, I would quite like to go out into the countryside in Australia and do a bit of sky gazing. I can imagine the light pollution away from the city being quite low and the quality of air pretty good too. Though I did read that Adelaide suffers from light pollution. Always fancied buying a decent telescope.

I guess you are too far north in Australia to see the southern lights.

Can see the glow of Mackay..:laugh:

Cheers, Bobj.

Archived