mobile phones

Guest bearchell s

Guest bearchell s

hi

does anyone know if you should keep your old mobile phone or would it be better to get a new one or just get a new sim card

thanks

If you really like it or it's an expensive one take it (make sure it's unlocked in the UK first if under a contract) then you can get a SIM only deal in Oz.

We have 2 HTCs we like so will get them unlocked from T-Mobile before we go.

Guest jeffner1974

Hi,

we're taking our phones over and a friend has sent us over PAYG sims so we're ready when we land.

we got our phones from phones4u and another friend who works for vodafone advised us that our phones would already be unlocked(they apparantly buy the phones in then put the companys sim card in when you choose your network) so we tried a different sim here and they were unlocked (orange had wanted to charge us £££ for the privilege) worth checking before you pay to get unlocked

jen x

I brought my UK one (I was happy with it and it wasn't locked) and only replaced it when I needed a new one. As others have said, just make sure it's unlocked before you get here.

There are no compatibility problems using UK phones in Aus.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd bring it even if it's old. As with anywhere, new phones are quite expensive and once here your priorities will most likely change.....other things to spend your money on!

We're on PAYG with Woolworths (via Optus), $29 for 45 days, $600 credit and a massive 5gig of data. Some might say their coverage is not great but we have had no real problems, been all over the place rural/city.

One last thing to consider as well we've had problems getting credit (only been here 6 weeks). Didn't want to give us credit for a $23/month phone line.....so no way we're gonna get a mobile contract for $60+ a month for a while.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Guest morisswalker

I have buy UK one and replaced it when I needed a new mobile. There are no problems facing using a UK phones in Aust.

Guest Nige Richy

I have just done it and Orange charge 20 quid for unlocking an iphone 4 and then get a sim card here. My Samsung S3 the new one which I got here costs me 80 dollars a month but IMHO Australia is 10 years behind the UK in relation to data useage, you get charged per GB and it soon goes if you are a big internet user. I am with Telsta who are by far the best for coverage in NSW but also the most expensive, but we are happy with our little lot and broadband is getting upgraded in the next 12-24 months so things will improve.

Archived