Wine and food to Australia

Guest AW1977

Guest AW1977

Hi,

I am sorry if this is already covered somewhere, I have searched but can't find the answer.

I know that most foods are banned into Aus,but everything I read is very very general. We have some 'luxury' type of food mostly bought in Italy - really expensive Olive oils, pasta, sauces etc. All unused and sealed. Nothing contains meat. Would we be able to bring this if we declare it?

Also we have about 20 bottles of good wine. Its not vintage but its not cheap stuff, and some again is sentimental. Mostly around £20 a bottle. I know you have to pay duty on it but does anyone have any more specific info on what the duty would actually be?

This move has been very sudden and we leave in a few weeks!!

Thanks so much.

AW

Banned food is generally perishable stuff and seeds/grains I think. You can take wine with you up to customs allowance - I don't know what that is for wine but you can take 3 bottles if spirits each. Don't go the shipping route with booze as allowances don't apply when unaccompanied, and avoid paying duty at all costs as it's extortionate, way beyond the value of the drink! Take what you can carry and/or party it up with the rest! The amount of grog we had to give away, it was eyewatering!!

The wine will cost a small fortune. I'd not bother shipping it. If some of it really has sentimental value consider if you want to pay the fees but otherwise have some friends over and drink ;)

I did have a breakdown of the cost per bottle on booze. It was scary reading. Suffice to say hubby's whisky collection will be downed before we move.

Guest AW1977

Thanks everyone. I fear you are right about the wine but I need something concrete to convince my husband!!

Re the oil and food I have emailed the Quarantine people via the website, thanks for that. Hopefully, they reply. I would just like to know either way as if we can't take it we would like to use it/give it away, not have it dumped by customs in Aus.

Guest AW1977

Thank you that is really really helpful. Those duties are CRAZY! Still I suppose it protects the Australian wine industry :-)

Archived