Valeting your car before you put it on a boat for Oz - don't bother!

Iron Chef

I've seen a few people, with the best of intentions, decide to give their car a full valet just before sending it to Australia, in the hope that it will pass the Quarantine inspection without needing additional cleaning.

My advice - please don't waste your money.

Firstly it seems AQIS are sending virtually every car for additional cleaning these days, regardless of how well cleaned they are in the UK.

Secondly, a valet will undoubtedly clean the interior by wetting it with either water or fabric cleaner - imagine what happens if this is still wet when the car goes into an air-tight container for two months, passing through the heat of tropics along the way. MOULD. Lots of it. Everywhere. AQIS subsequently have a field day and send the car for full fungal sprays and a whole lot of other expensive processes before the car can be released into Australia.

Instead, take it to your local DIY car wash, get it as clean as you can underneath the car (including under the wheel arches!) then get your vacuum cleaner out, go right through the interior as well as vacuuming (or blowing, even better) the leaves out the vents at the base of your windscreen. After that, don't waste your hard-earned.

I've seen a few people, with the best of intentions, decide to give their car a full valet just before sending it to Australia, in the hope that it will pass the Quarantine inspection without needing additional cleaning.

My advice - please don't waste your money.

Firstly it seems AQIS are sending virtually every car for additional cleaning these days, regardless of how well cleaned they are in the UK.

Secondly, a valet will undoubtedly clean the interior by wetting it with either water or fabric cleaner - imagine what happens if this is still wet when the car goes into an air-tight container for two months, passing through the heat of tropics along the way. MOULD. Lots of it. Everywhere. AQIS subsequently have a field day and send the car for full fungal sprays and a whole lot of other expensive processes before the car can be released into Australia.

Instead, take it to your local DIY car wash, get it as clean as you can underneath the car (including under the wheel arches!) then get your vacuum cleaner out, go right through the interior as well as vacuuming (or blowing, even better) the leaves out the vents at the base of your windscreen. After that, don't waste your hard-earned.

Great advice Iron Chef, and could suggest that shipping damage that can occur on the way, (seen many a brand new car at Avonmouth Docks looking like a tin can) as if it needs to be repaired, any polish used in the valet will be a bitch when you use the 2 pack and if filler needs to be used well then its white/pink/yellow/red dust everywhere..This is a worst case situation but can happen..

Archived