Australian PAYG Income - UK Tax Return Declaration?

tloring

My family and I permanently migrated from UK to Australia 4 months into the UK 2011/2012 tax year and hence 1 month into the Australian 2011/2012. I worked in the UK during the UK 2011/2012 tax year (PAYE) and have worked in Australia during the Australian 2011/2012 tax year (PAYG). I am now in the process of completing my UK 2011/2012 tax return resulting in a significant number of questions. I hope that this forum's moderators will not mind that I start a number of threads with each question but I believe the thread name will be useful for other users to search for.

I worked for 3 months (Apr - Jun) in the UK (PAYE) during the UK 11/12 tax year; I got a job in Australia on 31/10/11 and therefore for the last 5 months (Nov - Mar) of the UK tax year I have had Employment Income from my Australian employer (PAYG). Do I need to declare on my 11/12 HMRC tax return documentation both my UK income AND my Australian income during the UK 11/12 tax year?

Clearly when it comes to the Australian 11/12 tax return I will not be declaring any UK Employment Income because the tax years are different and I didn't earn any UK Employment Income between Jul'11 and Jun'12.

Any assistance greatly appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

I submit a UK tax return for my UK income and an Aussie one for my Aussie income. The one thing I missed out, and this post has reminded me, is that I have to tell the ATO how much rental income I earned from my home in the UK. It's not taxed in full because I pay UK tax but I defintely have to tell my tax agent.

Come to think of it, there IS another dumb thing that I forgot about the UK rental income. I've been getting a big refund every year and I should be submitting a form to get the income free of most of the tax because I am a foreign resident?

Donning my hair shirt to berate myself for my dumbness. I remember the estate agent gave me a form over three years ago and I either did not send it in and/or I did something wrong on it. I know I will be entitled to some tax back for the 2008/09 tax year and I must do the 2011/12 one too. I'm registered as an on line tax payer in the UK.

HMRC & or ATO should be able to answer some of your questions. Neither of them are out to trap you. There's a double taxation agreement between UK and OZ so you don't pay tax twice. I think perhaps it is only UNTAXED foreign income that you have to declare here or there.

Actually, if you were a PAYE taxpayer, you don't have to worry about the UK tax return anyway??? And here in OZ get an accountant/tax agent to do your return. Their fee is tax deductible and they should know the rules regarding foreign income.

When I first moved back to the UK, I used to have to do self assessment returns because I had foreign i.e. Aussie income but I never brought it to the the UK, paid tax on it in OZ, and, crucially, I was not DOMICILED i.e my home was not in the UK. I always intended to come back to OZ and eventually the HMRC accepted that and I went back to being a PAYE taxpayer.

Now that I'm back in OZ, the positions are reversed, because I have foreign income in the UK so both jurisdictions have an interest.

So, I do a self assessment return to HMRC on line regarding my UK rental income. Do an ATO return for my Aussie income and I THINK that because I bring all the rental income to OZ, although it is taxed in the UK, I have to declare/pay a portion to the ATO.

Now I've got a headache and I want to get back to worrying about Tottenham Hotspur!

Archived