Dog Crates

Candygirl

Do the dogs travel in the plastic crates inside the wooden crates provided by the pet shippers?

If so, did anyone buy their crates beforehand to get their dogs used to them? If so, what did you do?

My two have never been in any sort of a crate and I am wondering whether to purchase a couple beforehand to get them used to being a box and to minimise the stress for the journey over.

Not afaik they don't. Can you not have your wooden crates delivered a few weeks before so the dogs can get used to them and sleep in the etc

Guest The Pom Queen

Ok you don't have to use wooden crates and you could go out and buy a plastic crate that conforms to the IATA regulations http://www.iata.org/whatwedo/cargo/live_animals/Pages/pets.aspx you will find plastic crates out there that are approved but I will be honest and say they are a fortune. It would be cheaper to ask your shipping agent to send a wooden crate in advance to get them use to it. Try making it a good place, feed them in there, give them treats in there and don't close the door until they feel comfortable.

Archived