The process for buying land?

Guest monty

We've decided that we would like to have a place of our own and are in the process of looking at designs. But the big issue is sourcing the land. We've seen a few plots on the internet and hoping to take a drive out to look. Please can someone help with regard to the process? Looked at some of the new build house and land packages, the designs are great but the plots are very small, not very much garden and we've been informed that there are waiting lists for these developments. Now trying desperately to find a nice plot through different estate agents. when we do find a plot if its say $200, 000 can you haggle like in the Uk? or do they usually go to closed bids? Also can someone explain the administrative logistics? Any help would be really appreciated.

Monty

Guest Working to fish

Haven't got the foggiest but will be watching this thread in the hope to gather some knowledge.

eddie,tina:idea:

We've decided that we would like to have a place of our own and are in the process of looking at designs. But the big issue is sourcing the land. We've seen a few plots on the internet and hoping to take a drive out to look. Please can someone help with regard to the process? Looked at some of the new build house and land packages, the designs are great but the plots are very small, not very much garden and we've been informed that there are waiting lists for these developments. Now trying desperately to find a nice plot through different estate agents. when we do find a plot if its say $200, 000 can you haggle like in the Uk? or do they usually go to closed bids? Also can someone explain the administrative logistics? Any help would be really appreciated.

Monty

Land Services Group

This link may be of help to you.......... then again it may not? Sorry i can't be of further help; my jurisdiction ends somewhere on the Nullabor plane at the WA/SA border as i am only licenced to sell land in WA.

Now if you were over here in WA.................. I have an ideal block for sale in Golf Links Drive at Carramar? If you have heaps of dosh i have two side by side cottage blocks coming on the market next week at the Mindarie marina.............. a stone's throw from the ocean front. I also have a 730m2 block becoming available in upmarket Iluka!!!

Guest pat stanton

Hi just bought a piece of land in WA and offered 30,000 less than asking price and got it 15,000 lesss so you can haggle also check the contract to ensure you buy subject to finance and survey as we did not and cought out when the pound dropped drastically. Once you sign your locked in and can be taken to court if you pull out. Its also worth finding out the costs of claring the land for building as we bought a piece that needs a buit of work on before we can build which can add costs. However its the only way to get what you want and can work out cheaper. Add the costa up to ensure the total is less than buying. Good luck Pat

Hi just bought a piece of land in WA and offered 30,000 less than asking price and got it 15,000 lesss so you can haggle also check the contract to ensure you buy subject to finance and survey as we did not and cought out when the pound dropped drastically. Once you sign your locked in and can be taken to court if you pull out. Its also worth finding out the costs of claring the land for building as we bought a piece that needs a buit of work on before we can build which can add costs. However its the only way to get what you want and can work out cheaper. Add the costa up to ensure the total is less than buying. Good luck Pat

Where did you buy Pat................ hope you got a good buy?

Thanks for your replies, Bob cat and Pat. Finding this searching for the right piece of FLAT land difficult at the moment, Keep finding lots slopes that would mean a split level home and more expensive building costs. I know its out there somewhere!!! it'll just take a little while longer.

Monty

• 4 weeks later...
Guest English Oak

Monty

A word of advice get your own soil samples before purchase

ITS A MUST

Guest English Oak
Why???

What should you look for? Gold???

No why are you purchasing or are your parents purchasing land or do you know anything about the subject or do you spend your days sitting on your computer

daydreaming about how silly a reply to peoples threads you can make up GOLD

HA' HA ; HA; I AM ROLLING ABOUT IN FITS OF LAUGHTER -----NOT----

No why are you purchasing or are your parents purchasing land or do you know anything about the subject or do you spend your days sitting on your computer

daydreaming about how silly a reply to peoples threads you can make up GOLD

HA' HA ; HA; I AM ROLLING ABOUT IN FITS OF LAUGHTER -----NOT----

So why not give an explanation instead of a sarcastic childish response?

We too would like to know 'why' in more detail

Guest English Oak
So why not give an explanation instead of a sarcastic childish response?

We too would like to know 'why' in more detail

In breif

An assessment of soil stability and type is essential

In other words you cant just buy a block of land and build a house on it

Guest BullcreekBob
In breif

An assessment of soil stability and type is essential

Why ?? English Oak, you've got me a bit stumped on this, I can think of no reason for doing so, I've never heard of it before.

In other words you cant just buy a block of land and build a house on it

Why not? Hundreds and hundreds of thousands of people have done so. Were we all wrong?

Guest John Sydney

There is two reason to check the soil -

One is it sand or loose soil ? if so how far down does it go and will this increase the building costs

the other is rock under a couple of inches of soil - rock is bloody expensive to remove to lay foundations for a house

There is an other one to check the land has not been a dumping ground and just a bit of soil covering

the dump which happen just before Xmas in Sydney and naturally the Government said not their problem

Hope this helps

John

Guest English Oak
Why ?? English Oak, you've got me a bit stumped on this, I can think of no reason for doing so, I've never heard of it before.

Why not? Hundreds and hundreds of thousands of people have done so. Were we all wrong?

The term English oak has nil to do with soil samples its my name as yours is

Bullcreek bob if you look to your left on your computer

There is two reason to check the soil -

One is it sand or loose soil ? if so how far down does it go and will this increase the building costs

the other is rock under a couple of inches of soil - rock is bloody expensive to remove to lay foundations for a house

There is an other one to check the land has not been a dumping ground and just a bit of soil covering

the dump which happen just before Xmas in Sydney and naturally the Government said not their problem

Hope this helps

John

Thank you John for explaining this sensibly and logically.

I was aware that in some instances in the UK you need to check for soil contamination etc but was interested if there was anthing else that would need to be taken into consideration when buying in Oz.

English Oak - I am sure Bull Creek Bob will defend himself but your childish sarcasm is I am damn sure, not welcome on this site. The way I read his post, he was not questioning your name BUT YOUR ANSWER/RESPONSE

Guest English Oak
Thank you John for explaining this sensibly and logically.

I was aware that in some instances in the UK you need to check for soil contamination etc but was interested if there was anthing else that would need to be taken into consideration when buying in Oz.

English Oak - I am sure Bull Creek Bob will defend himself but your childish sarcasm is I am damn sure, not welcome on this site. The way I read his post, he was not questioning your name BUT YOUR ANSWER/RESPONSE

I would like to inform you that a lot of people jump in at the deep end with a land

purchase and if just one person is prevented from purchasing a lemmon of a block

land then all well and good i think thats what the thread is intended to do

Guest BullcreekBob
I would like to inform you that a lot of people jump in at the deep end with a land

purchase and if just one person is prevented from purchasing a lemmon of a block

land then all well and good i think thats what the thread is intended to do

English Oak,

That may have been your intent. But from here, it looks more like some ill informed newby jumping on here with advice on matters they either know nothing about or they are assuming that Australia is just like England. Have you ever been to Australia? How often have you bought land ?

John Sydney said one reason for a soil check was to see if you were buying sand or rocks. Here in Perth, if you are buying on the coastal plain anywhere between Bunbury and Geraldton, you are buying sand. I can guarantee it and you don't even need to pay me for telling you that. Perth IS a sand plain and in a strip 500kms long and upto 60kms wide it is all sand. If you buy in the area we call "The Hills" then you are buying a small area of sand on top of granite rocks. Site costs will be higher, but your real estate agent, the building company and blind freddie will tell you that. See how much more money I've saved you.

Again, some local knowlege, for you. Here in WA prior use of land needs to be disclosed by the developers. For example most of Port Kennedy used to be a firing range for the navy and so there's the possibility of finding an old bomb in your backyard or under the house. However, you can not buy a block of land or a house in the area without signing an annexure to the contract saying that you have been informed about the possibility and that you are still choosing to buy.

English Oak, if you want to give advice on here, find out something first then advise, or come over here and share your experiences and mistakes with outhers. If you only want to sit back in the UK and give advice on matters you are only guessing, don't bother.

As Lynandsean said "...but your childish sarcasm is I am damn sure, not welcome on this site".

Guest English Oak
English Oak,

That may have been your intent. But from here, it looks more like some ill informed newby jumping on here with advice on matters they either know nothing about or they are assuming that Australia is just like England. Have you ever been to Australia? How often have you bought land ?

John Sydney said one reason for a soil check was to see if you were buying sand or rocks. Here in Perth, if you are buying on the coastal plain anywhere between Bunbury and Geraldton, you are buying sand. I can guarantee it and you don't even need to pay me for telling you that. Perth IS a sand plain and in a strip 500kms long and upto 60kms wide it is all sand. If you buy in the area we call "The Hills" then you are buying a small area of sand on top of granite rocks. Site costs will be higher, but your real estate agent, the building company and blind freddie will tell you that. See how much more money I've saved you.

Again, some local knowlege, for you. Here in WA prior use of land needs to be disclosed by the developers. For example most of Port Kennedy used to be a firing range for the navy and so there's the possibility of finding an old bomb in your backyard or under the house. However, you can not buy a block of land or a house in the area without signing an annexure to the contract saying that you have been informed about the possibility and that you are still choosing to buy.

English Oak, if you want to give advice on here, find out something first then advise, or come over here and share your experiences and mistakes with outhers. If you only want to sit back in the UK and give advice on matters you are only guessing, don't bother.

As Lynandsean said "...but your childish sarcasm is I am damn sure, not welcome on this

Yer Bullcreek its a fir oid site of yours looks like your a dab old hand in IT

well we do things a bit different in Sydney I should know was born in Manly hospital

by the way thats built on a lot of rock some would say a big lump of gold

Archived