What is Melbourne Weather really like?

JustJulia

Visa has arrived, all planning to go to Melbourne when a relative, that is now in Brisbane said they originally tried Melbourne but all it did was rain. I don't know what time of year they where there but wanted some info from those how have sampled all four seasons (in a year, not in a day!!!)

Thanks x

Guest The Ropey HOFF

We like the look of Melbourne and did quite a bit of research on it, it is always voted as one of the best cities in the world to olive in, but ...... The weather. We have relatives in Geelong and they said they don't have a proper winter like w have in the UK and they have a proper summer, but they say it gets baking hot, sounds good, but ....... There can be months of not so great weather, a bit like our summer in the UK. If you don't want it hot a lot and a bit better climate than the UK, then Melbourne is the place for you, if you want hot sunny glorious weather, try elsewhere, was the advice we got, best of luck.

The last couple of winters (and summers) have been pretty wey, but that has been the case all over Australia due to the El Nina weather cycle. The thing that puts some people off Melbourne is that is can get quite cold in winter as well as the rain, and the other states stay warmer.

I live up in the Dandenong ranges just on the edge of the city, and we have had recently nights around 1-5 degrees, misty mornings & quite nice days around 14-15 degrees. In the city iteself it is always slightly warmer by a couple of dergrees.

We can get all sorts of weather in a short time. I have seen snow in the middle of summer, and on one occasion seen the temperature plummet from 38 degrees to about 20 in just over an hour, followed by strong winds & heavy rain.

All that said, we still get plenty of extremely good weather. I like the fact that you still have the seasons similar to Europe, but weather more similar to mid/southern europe.

I love the weather in Melbourne. Four seasons of the year, love spring and autumn. Summer is ok but we do have hot spells, the one good thing is that unlike other cities in Aus we do not get constant heat in Melbourne, for the most part in summer its mid to late twenties. The heat is also dry so low humidity.

Autumn is magic, cool nights and lovely warm days.

We can also dress up more here as not being humid and being cooler can get nicer clothes.

I have several coats in the wardrobe but even this winter which has been wetter than we have had for many years, hardly ever wear them, get by with a jumper or skivvy with windcheater.

Gardening can be done all year round, no hard ground that cannot be dug etc.

The main problem is that a lot of the older houses are not well insulated and double glazing has never been big here. Rentals are notorious for not being good temperature wise. However things have changed and there are laws about new housing climate control these days.

It rains as much in Melbourne as the uk....go to Perth if you want skin peelying heat.

After living through the 12 year drought that has just broken I wish it did rain as much as UK. We were on water restrictions for years in Melbourne, no sprinkler systems, had to water in the morning on our day for a couple of hours with a hand held hose. No washing the car with a hose, had to use a bucket. Does this sound like a place where it rains as much as UK.

We get most of our rain in the winter and if we miss the winter rains we are in trouble. Fortunately we now have a desal plant which will take up the slack should be head back into an El Nino pattern which they are forecasting to start later this year.

Making assumptions is not living it.

After living through the 12 year drought that has just broken I wish it did rain as much as UK. We were on water restrictions for years in Melbourne, no sprinkler systems, had to water in the morning on our day for a couple of hours with a hand held hose. No washing the car with a hose, had to use a bucket. Does this sound like a place where it rains as much as UK.

We get most of our rain in the winter and if we miss the winter rains we are in trouble. Fortunately we now have a desal plant which will take up the slack should be head back into an El Nino pattern which they are forecasting to start later this year.

Making assumptions is not living it.

3 years of drought in the uk...we feel your pain.

Melbourne weather is vert interesting, Can be a glorious day, then you can get golf balls falling out of the sky!!! A couple of years ago we headed off ito the city it was a very hot & sunny day. Around late afternoon we had massive hail, never seen anthing like that before! Lots of cars got damaged. You can get four seasons in one day here any time. I never go out without a umbrella. But think this winter has been mild. 2 years ago on new years eve we had a shocking 42 degrees! Sometimes it get very hot in the summer.

• 2 months later...

I love Melbourne but not the weather. We are half way through spring and today it was 11 degrees with snow in the high country but next Monday the forecast is for 27 degrees so it is very changeable. You are looking at big heating costs for 6 months of the year. I've avoided heating costs by getting a wood burner, a chainsaw and a trailer and collect wood from fallen trees at the sides of the road. I would be off to Queensland in a flash if it wasn't for family here.

I love Melbourne but not the weather. We are half way through spring and today it was 11 degrees with snow in the high country but next Monday the forecast is for 27 degrees so it is very changeable. You are looking at big heating costs for 6 months of the year. I've avoided heating costs by getting a wood burner, a chainsaw and a trailer and collect wood from fallen trees at the sides of the road. I would be off to Queensland in a flash if it wasn't for family here.

its actually about 4 1/2 months a year that you really need to heat, and even now its only to warm the place up a bit. not full on heating.

I must admit the weather is driving me nuts as well this spring. Last Thursday, 31 degrees and laid on the beach on Philip Island while the kids were surfing. exactly one week late 20 degrees colder and I even heard that there might have even been a sprinkling of snow up and around Olinda (just a few k's from here up the hill)

6 months of the year is more than I thought it would be, I think I would much prefer Melbourne to Perth weather wise as it s closer to the 4 seasons we enjoy in the UK.

Guest The Pom Queen

Had 8 years in Melbourne and only moved because of the weather. Don't ever arrive in July as you will see nothing but rain, wait until spring.

Archived